Goodnight

At dinner you had both planned to eat quietly before sneaking away, but one way or another you ended up as the center of attention. One of the coaches casually asked you what your first impression of the training camp had been, and that turned into everyone asking you their first impressions of them. Being the center of attention with this group was way too nerve wracking.  

"Nekomata next Nekomata next!!" 

"Uh Nekomata..Well I guess I thought he seemed sort of intimidating. And shorter than I expected for a volleyball coach," you said cautiously, spurring on a wave of laughter. "He's more mischievous than I expected though," you admitted. 

"Hahaha," Nekomata bellowed. "That's for sure!" 

"How about Naoi," the Shinzen assistant coach chimed in. 

Ugh why did it turn out like this? 

"Hm Naoi seemed very straight-laced. And he seemed like he would've been popular in high school." Another roar of laughter, someone was slapping Naoi on the back, Naoi awkwardly chuckling. 

"It's unfair if I'm the only one saying my impressions. What about your impressions of me?" 

Suddenly the table fell silent, everyone avoiding eye contact to avoid responsibility. 

"I thought you were gonna be a stuck up teacher!" Nekomata laughed. 

" Hey Nekom-" Ukai interrupted. 

"But I quickly learned you're not like that at all." Phew, Ukai thought. 

"Last one," Naoi said. "What was your first impression of Ukai? Since you've known him the longest." Ukai sat up straighter and his eyes slightly widened. 

"Coach Ukai? Hm. Well I met him while he was working at the convenience store," this inspired some oohs and ahs, "And with his dyed hair and piercings I thought they looked really cool but also that maybe he was.. using them to compensate for something maybe?" 

The table grew silent before erupting into laughter and jokes from every angle. Ukai's face went cold. 

"Compensating? She's too funny!" "Bahahaha whatchya compensating for, huh Ukai?"

 You suddenly realized. 

"aH- NO I didn't mean it in a weird way! More like his personality or something-" you floundered. 

"Ahaha she thinks he has a bad personality!" 

"Nonono that's not what I-" 

"There's no stopping em once they get going, let's just head out now while they're distracted," Ukai said quietly, obviously still embarrassed. He seemed mad. 

"Ok..." 

Once outside, you hesitantly turned to him. "I'm sorry, I really didn't mean it in a weird way...it sounded way meaner than I meant it to." 

"I know L/n, don't worry about it." 

"No!- I am worried, I feel really bad! I just embarrassed you in front of everyone and they're probably going to keep teasing you-" 

"Really it's fine, that's just how they are. They'll probably forget about it as soon as they get drunk tonight. They pressured you into that awkward situation in the first place so I don't feel bad about it." 

"I guess...but-" you said, still not convinced. 

"I forgive you so forget about it. Come on, they've already started practicing." he said forcing a smile.

For the next few hours, you gathered balls to toss for Kageyama, watched videos of different formations and tempos with some of the other team, and practiced a few of your own serves just for fun. Ukai didn't seem like he was mad, but you still felt a pang of guilt. As you mindlessly hit the ball a voice drew you out of your thoughts.