Chapter 2 - Brave New World

"Seriously," Eddie said, staring out the windshield as they drove through downtown Fairfort, Indiana, "This place only had like two gas stations and a grocery store!"
Fairfort was originally a very small town, located about eight miles northwest of what used to be Hawkins.
He was leaning forward in his seat, marveling at the sheer amount of houses, stores, restaurants, and businesses that covered the landscape.

"A lot has changed in forty years." Iris said softly. "Mostly because of Hawkins getting destroyed. A lot of the former residents settled here, so the town kinda grew up around them."
She was trying to gently explain things to him, as she could tell how shocked he was.

"Is that a freaking Target?!" He yelled, pointing, causing Iris to giggle.
"Yes, we have a Target." She replied, "We even have a mall."
"It's not run by the Russians, is it?" He asked seriously.

Iris gazed wide-eyed at him, before returning her eyes to the road. "Okay that's going on the list of shit you need to explain to me, 'kay?"
She turned a corner, heading into the older part of town.
"We didn't have half of this shit in Hawkins." He sighed.
"To be fair the population here is about double that of Hawkins." She said, "But still not nearly as big as Indy."

Iris pulled into a parking space, outside of a several stories tall brick building.
"We're here!" She said in a sing-song voice, pulling her keys out.
"You brought me to an abandoned warehouse?" He asked, looking up at the building cautiously, "Maybe it was I who should have been afraid of you."
"It's not abandoned silly." She giggled, retrieving her things, he once again carrying her guitar, and walking to the large glass door.

After pressing in the door code they entered, the lobby lights gradually came up, so as not to blind them. Eddie was awestruck at how big the building actually was. The front of the building was covered in industrial window panels all the way to the roof. Every level of apartments beyond the ground floor had either what appeared to be repurposed railing from whatever the building originally was, or iron pipe cut and fitted to serve as railing. The walls alongside were decorated with various pieces and parts of industrial machinery. All in all Eddie found it pretty damn cool, especially for somewhere near where he grew up.

"You coming pretty boy?" Iris called out, snapping him out of his thoughts.
She was waiting for him beside a wrought iron elevator.
"Yeah, shit, sorry." He said walking towards her.

After climbing in, she locked both sets of gates.
"Where are we headed?" He asked, looking at the buttons.
"PH." She replied.
"PH?" He questioned, hitting the button, "You mean penthouse?"
She nodded in reply as they began the ascent.

"Jesus Christ," He mused looking round from the height, "That has to cost a small fortune a month."
"I don't really know," She shrugged, "I just bought it outright."
"Right." He said simply.
He had forgotten exactly how well off the Harrington family was.

Upon reaching her floor, and exiting the opposite side of the elevator, he noted it was the only level with a single door.

"Welcome to mi casa." She said unlocking the door and entering, Eddie following her through the dark.
"Alexa I'm home!" She called out.
"Who is-" He began to ask, but was cut off when suddenly the entire Apartment was bathed in light, and an echoing voice called out.
"Welcome home Iris! The current time is 7:50 pm Monday March the 28th."
"WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT IS THAT?!" Eddie yelled, scrambling backwards into her door while the voice began to talk about the weather.

"Oh shit." Iris muttered, dropping her bag, "Alexa stop!"
The voice stopped instantly, and Eddie drew in a shaky breath.
"Hey, it's okay." She said, holding her hands up defensively, "It's just a computer that talks to you." She gently placed a hand on his shoulder, "You're safe. I promise you."