Chapter 1

.....and as everything burned, she realized her nightmares had come alive to hunt down the ones she loved.....

*-*-*-*

Eretria wasn't listening to whatever her father was saying. She was bored out of her mind. She had long drifted to a world of her own, living everyone else to dwell on the lengthy boring speech her father was giving.

God, she really needed to concentrate during events like this.

Her eyes snap away from the crowd she had been absentmindedly staring at to her father.

He stood tall, in all glory and grace, a well respected king. She sighed. It was a pity she didn't see him the way his subjects did. To her, he was just a coldhearted, stone faced king, who couldn't care less about his imperfect daughter and would rather have her locked up during such events like this one.

She had slipped out of her room anyway, it wasn't the first time. She needed to know what he said during these events that he didn't want her to know. She wanted to know if he was finally marrying her off and was first announcing to the people, keeping her in the dark, as always. She knew he wasn't the only one who wanted her out of his hair.

She was a hassle, she knew. But she couldn't help it. She caused a lot of trouble,most times begging for attention. But the king would push  the matter to some else to deal with rather than facing her and questioning her why she kept causing so much trouble. Wasn't he curious? Because she definitely was.

The applause jolted her and she took it as her cue to leave. She need not be spotted else, well there wasn't much the king could do to her. He'd keep her locked up in her room but that was pretty much her life. Even if she wasn't locked in her room, she was never allowed to leave the palace grounds.

That was why she anticipated Roman's return. He was barely home but whenever he was around, she didn't feel imprisoned. If she was leaving the palace with him, it was no problem at all. Though her other brothers would say he'd land them both in trouble, not that they had ever been in any trouble they told them about.

When the dance started, she slipped away from the ballroom. Taking the door at the far end of the ballroom would lead to a hallway where she'd take the stairs, passing by the kitchen, to the floor where her chamber was located but she decided to step out into the night.

The night breeze hit her, cold and nibbing but refreshing. The few strands of her hair that had escaped from the bun fluttered with the gentle breeze. She walked towards the gazebo, her hands behind her. Her eyes were on the night sky. It was starless. Not long after she stepped into the gazebo, she heard footsteps behind her.

Leaning against the pillar was Ander, her twin.

"I knew you'd never listen." He said.

"I couldn't miss it for the world." Eretria said.

Ander scoffed. "Yeah right. We both know you don't want to be here."

Eretria turned to him. "I actually do. But you'll never know since father forbids it."

Ander ran his hand through his hair, something he found pleasure in doing. No wonder his hair was always messy. "Remember what happened the last ball you attended?"

Eretria looked away. She didn't have to be reminded. It had become one of her many nightmares.

"I didn't know the curtain was that close to fire." She defended.

" 'course you didn't. But you looked father in the eye and told him you weren't remorseful. A servant was badly burnt." Ander said. He winced at the memory. It hadn't been a pleasant day.

"Are you here to remind me of my many faults? I have faults but you don't get to rub it in my face." She was offended. She knew he meant no harm, but didn't stop her from feeling offended. The things he had said were true. But she felt it was just a childhood rebellion. Many would say her broken relationship with her father began from that day, but she knew they never even had a relationship in the first place.

"I'm not trying to offend you. But it's the truth. You know that." He said calmly.

Damn that calm tone. He sounded so serious and matured, it wasn't the annoying twin brother she knew.

"Go back to your party Ander." Eretria said.

"You should go back to your room."

"I'm not a prisoner. I get roam around if I want to."

Ander shrugged and left. She watched as he retreated until he was no longer in sight.

Eretria freed her hair from the bun the moment she was back in her room. She fell on her bed, her long black hair pooling underneath her. For a moment everything was still and silent. Her own breathing was almost inexistent.

Until she heard the crackling of wood in the fire place. The sound was low bit in the silence of her room, she could hear it.

She leaned on her elbow to get a better view of the fire and for a moment, her gold eyes glowed, an almost yellowish color. She smiled and the fire roared to life.

*-*-*-*-*

Introduction to the book people.
Is it just me or is something up with Eretria?
Let me know what you think in the comment section 👇
Loor you 😘