08

Monday late morning, Devale was back from taking Terrell to his new school. That was least he could do since he was heading to the hospital. Crystal didn't say anything to him before he left. She barely wanted to kiss him goodbye.

When Devale arrived to the hospital he felt kind of nervous. He went straight to Dr. Wayans office and knocked on the door.

"Come in." Shawn said as Devale opened the door. "Dr. Devale Ellis! It is so nice to finally meet you, in person." He said approaching Devale.

He went in for a dap, shocking Devale at first, but he dapped him up. Looking around the office, Devale was able to gather everything he needed to know about his new boss. He had two daughters, elementary aged, a beautiful wife, who also looked like she'd been in the medical field, and a pet dog. So he was a family man.

The energy in the office was chill. He had a TV and an air hockey table, with a mini fridge. Devale had never had any office as big as a CEO office, but Crystal did. He shook his head as he thought about what'd he give to have this life.

"What made you come to Atlanta?" Shawn asked Devale.

"Oh me and the family just needed a change of scenery." Devale replied.

"Do you miss Chicago?"

"Hell no." Devale quickly answered making his boss laugh. "It was nice and it made me the surgeon I am today, but I need something different." He said.

Shawn put his hand on Devale shoulder and smiled. "Well I'm glad you chose Atlanta General. We have a great team here." He said pointing to the door. "I'll take you to the ICU, you can meet who you'll be operating with. Dr. Marcus Black and Dr. Kristen Scott." Shawn said making Devale lowly sigh.

"I had the pleasure of meeting Marcus Black, our kids used to go to school together. We had them over for dinner." Devale told his boss.

"Good, you two are gonna work so together. He's a little controlling but just follow his lead until he's comfortable with you and it'll be fine." Shawn warned Devale. "Dr. Kristen Scott is uh, well she's fairly new. She's a pediatric surgeon. The kids love her but she can get pretty anxious."

"Nothing wrong with an anxious doctor. As long as they know how to handle it." Devale said.

"Exactly," Shawn said as the doors to the elevator opened.

When they turned into the ICU floor Devale was stunned. It was by far the calmest hospital he's ever seen. Everyone was working and minding their business. They had nurses on computers being nurses and doctors who were doing their best with the patients and checking in. He knew he'd like it here.

•••

Back at the house, Crystal rocked a crying Angel to sleep in living room as they listened to the white noise machine

Back at the house, Crystal rocked a crying Angel to sleep in living room as they listened to the white noise machine. Her dad found his place in the backyard where he had the most peace, just him and his cigar. Meanwhile, her mom was upstairs bombarding Bella with flashcards. According to Anita, it's never too early to raise a scholar.