Chapter 5. The encounter

Ding-ding-ding

It was 5:00 on the alarm clock. Hope was used to waking up at that time and always did so with ease and smile, for he knew he would soon be going to school. To his bright house, within the walls of which he felt usually the happiest person in the world.

But today his eyes treacherously did not want to open. Last night he could not sleep for a long time, because the thoughts in his head did not give rest. He kept remembering yesterday's meeting with Lion, going over and over in his head all the details of the hour he spent with him: his words, his look, his breath, the feeling of the warmth of his big palms on his body.

"Ooof..."

Hope continued to lie in the fetal position, hugging himself and trying to talk himself out of thinking about this man, but it was already hard to stop this all-speed armored train:

"We won't meet again... he just happened to walk into this club... who am I to make him want to come back!!! Foolish dreams... don't even think about meeting him again! You've fallen so low! No one, knowing in advance the pit you're sitting in now, would want to continue communicating with you! ... but... but... he asked my real name... why would he want to know my name...?"

«"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," Hope yelled at the top of his voice and was himself frightened by this loud cry of despair.

The door swung open and Troy came running in:

"Why are you yelling? Are you all right, son? Tell me! Why did you come back later than usual last night? How did you get here? Did something happen? Where does it hurt? You can tell me everything as it is!"

"Grandpa, shhhhhh, everything's fine. Had another client imposed on yesterday, so I came in late. Norman called me a cab...got home comfortably. Nothing happened...just couldn't sleep for a long time, and when I woke up to my alarm clock, I couldn't open my eyes. I'm not in pain, my body is perfectly fine!" - Hope saw how worried his protector was, so he smiled sympathetically and began to answer his questions calmly, one by one.

"Why did you yell then? You're going to give me a heart attack! And I still want to live! Hehehe," Grandpa became himself again and looked at the boy with a scrutinizing gaze.

"I'm hungry!" - Hope blurted out, as he knew that this look of his interlocutor was not good.

"If you've been yelling and nothing hurts, then it's a mental trauma... Spit it out!" - the word "back down" was absent from Troy's life principles.

"What did you make for breakfast?" - After his mom died, Hope lived at Grandpa's house, who made something simple and delicious every morning, like his favorite Salapao*.

(From the author: In China, salapao is a steamed flatbread stuffed with all sorts of goodies. Its Thai counterpart is slightly smaller, and the choice of fillings is limited to pork (minced or barbecued), sweet red beans and cream. The taste of the freshly made buns is fantastic)

"Today is 'Khao neow dam sang kaya*'... You're avoiding answering? Then for sure, I'll hear something interesting..." - Grandfather had already sat down on the bed and was smilingly rubbing his hands together.

(From the author. 'Khao neow dam sang kaya', which is sweet sticky rice with custard wrapped in a banana leaf, is another popular Thai breakfast dish)

"Well... (sigh)... the last customer... was weird," Hope surrendered, knowing full well that if it was a tick, there was no way to get it off, better to come clean right away.

"... You know, son... I was always against your choice... and I'm still angry that you didn't even consult with me! I'd rather work as a bodyguard for 3 years and then finish my studies than this!... You chose to spend a year in this shithole for the sake of your studies! I don't even want to think about what you're going through there... I'll just support you as much as I can," Grandpa spoke in a warm voice, but with feeling and pressure, his eyebrows were moved and the fingers of his left hand were tap-dancing on the bed.