Chapter 4, Science project

"𝐒𝐨 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐈 𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧

𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝

𝐂𝐮𝐭 '𝐞𝐦 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦"

It was going to be fine. At least, this was what you had been repeating over and over again in your head, in an attempt to actually make yourself believe it. Since no one else knew about your history with Bella, you had only received a ton of messages congratulating you with what was commonly seen as a 'win'.

But it didn't feel like a victory to you. It felt like a commitment you simply weren't ready to make, with a person you had tried to pray out of your life at some point. That obviously didn't work, but after sharing the same school corridors with them for over a month, you were running out of options.

If Bella knew about it, they would have laughed at you when you told them. Not in a mean way, but the pure desperation alone would have managed to crack the brunette up. They would have followed it up with a short story about a time Bella embarrassed themself, to make you feel less horrible about it. Though they had used this technique on you over a dozen times, it worked every sinlge time without fail.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Amir asked over facetime, the expression on his face insinuating that he didn't have a lot of faith in what you were telling him. This grasped your attention, after you had quite honestly zoned out while one of your closest friends talked.

Though you felt bad about it, you knew there was no way of stopping your thoughts from flooding in. "Yeah, no, I'm sure. Why wouldn't I be okay?" You forced a smile, a small frown on your face as you looked at Amir through the screen.

It didn't even take a second for you to realise that he wasn't convinced. The expression spread on his face told you that he not only didn't believe you, but was also disappointed in you for keeping things from him. 

Over the course of the last few years, you had managed to become a pro at reading your friends' faces. Some were harder than others, but it almost seemed as if Amir didn't even try to hide what he was feeling, ever. 

You let out a soft sigh, but when you noticed the change in demeanor on the other side of the screen, you could once again easily tell that he was now expecting you to come forward about whatever it was you were hiding from him. "Look, it's nothing, okay? I'm just nervous." 

This disappointed your friend once again, causing for his expression to make room for a frown once again, before he spoke up. Your name fell from his mouth in a tone you could only describe as the one your parents used to use whenever they caught you doing something you weren't supposed to be doing.