8

gravity pulled me in,
now i can't let go

It had been another week since the last gathering with the royals, and Nicollette was already more than tired of the events happening what felt to be daily. She barely had time to do anything on her own, which included giving things to the townspeople.

There had been talk of an important ball coming up, one to kick off the new Season approaching. Nicollette didn't know anything about Seasons, balls, or anything of the sort. She had managed to stay away her entire life - from the moment they moved onto the Sutcliffe residence up until now. She still didn't want anything to do with it, but it seemed now that she'd hit eighteen, she didn't have much of a choice.

She stood silently as she continued to mix the cookie dough, watching as the powder slowly transformed into batter. She grabbed the bag of chocolate chips from the cupboard before heading back to the counter, jumping in surprise when she saw someone standing in the doorway.

Her eyes immediately moved away, back to the batter in front of her. She didn't say anything as she stirred some chocolate chips in the dough, whisking it a little too aggressively.

"So you are the help then," Candice spoke as she walked further into the kitchen. 

Nicollette silently cursed herself, hating that she'd chosen to use the Sutcliffe's kitchen instead of her own. She'd only asked because she was making extra items today, to make up for the fact that she hadn't been able to go into the town lately.

"Oh, so now you're silent?" Candice cooed, stopping on the other side of the giant island Nicollette stood at. "Now that Matthias is nowhere to be seen, you're a shy little cat?"

"I just have no interest in speaking to you," Nicollette was quick to say, putting her focus on the task at hand.

Candice watched with an emotionless look on her face. She didn't say anything at first, and just as Nicollette began to think she might lose interest and walk away, her hopes were crushed as the blonde spoke up.

"Who knew a baker would be attending all of the important royal brunches?" Candice picked up a chocolate chip, popping it in her mouth.

"Is there any reason for you to be in here?" Nicollette asked with a snap, dropping the whisk in the bowl. "Seriously, do you have nothing better to do? Like I don't know, go back to your kingdom?"

Candice smiled - a sick, twisted smile - as she leaned against the counter. Her press-on nails tapped annoyingly against the marble countertop, a sound that irked Nicollette more than she already had.

"You really shouldn't speak to me like that. I can get you and your entire family banished."

It was a threat, and Nicollette knew this. However, she wasn't bothered. She didn't falter as she copied Candice's action, a smirk growing on her own features. "You can't do anything, and you know that. It's the same with all you young royals. You think you have the power to do things you can't. You may be able to get your entitled parents to do your dirty work in whatever Kingdom you're from, but you have no control here in Aradia. You know this, and I know this."

Candice's smile felt - but only slightly. She quickly regained her posture, looking down at Nicollette. "You may think that now, but soon enough I will be the Mrs. Matthias Sutcliffe and we will rule Aradia together. And when that time comes, dear peasant, you are going to be the first person that we banish."

Nicollette laughed, a loud snort erupting from her as she held her stomach. This caused Candice to frown, not having expected that response.

"Imagine wanting to marry Matthias Sutcliffe," She wiped a fallen tear from her eye. "Couldn't be me. Truly, though, I do wish you luck. That man is a piece of work."