Tucker

Allie doesn't say anything when I storm away from our table. She knows better than to nudge a loose cannon. Maverick, however - he and I were never close. With eight years between us, he was never around to know that when it came to Allie, I was a loaded gun.

I am just about to punch the wall again when Maverick grabs my arm, stopping me. "Up the steps to my office," he says through clenched teeth as he holds my arm back. "Now, Tucker."

Taking two steps at a time, I slam his door open and go straight for the punching bag that caught my eye in the corner of the room. Yes, I know I probably looked like a crazed lunatic, but the anger inside is building, and I have to release it before I do something I will regret.

Maverick shuts the door before taking a seat behind his desk. As he leans back in his chair, I don't miss the smirk that crosses his face as he watches me take another swing at the worn bag hanging from the ceiling.

"What the hell are you smirking at?" Punch.

"Why are you punching ole faithful?" he asks. Punch.

"Why do you care?" Punch.

"You left, Tucker. Did you think people weren't going to notice Allie?" Punch. "She is a beautiful girl." Punch, punch. Maverick steps away from his desk and walks to the window overlooking his club. "Tucker, turn your head and just look at her." Punch.

"I know what the hell she looks like, Maverick. I've only known since I was fourteen." Punch, punch.

Maverick grabs the bag, moving it away from me. "Turn around and look at her."

I can't bring myself to look over my shoulder until Maverick nudges me with his hand. I glance down to see Allie standing in the center of the bar floor, talking to some guy and smiling. Her smile lights up the whole damn bar, causing whoever she is speaking with to smile himself.

"You love her," Maverick says, looking at me, but I can't take my eyes off Allie.

"Of course I do - she is my best friend," I reply.

Slapping my shoulder, Maverick chuckles as he walks away from the window to lean against his desk.

"You're in love with her, Li'l bro."

My heart starts pounding in my chest. That phrase makes me remove my eyes from the only person who has ever mattered to me. "What? You don't know what you are talking about. That's Dak's ex, Maverick."

"And what? Let's face it - Dak never treated her the way she deserved to be treated. Hell, I learned that within the first fifteen minutes of talking to her. Allie is something, Tucker. She deserves more."

I look back at Allie just in time to see her trip over her own two feet as she makes her way back to our table. Shit, she is a klutz, but damn if she isn't the cutest damn klutz I know.

"She deserves the one who has loved her since the day she walked into his life." I felt Maverick's hand on my shoulder. I didn't hear him move across his office. "She deserves you."

"It's not that simple. At one point, Dak loved her. They dated for about four years. They have history. Dak may not have been invested in Allie, but Allie loved him." After the words come out of my mouth, I feel like taking another round of punches to that damn ratty bag. I hate Dak. He isn't even around, and he still controls everything.

"Don't assume you know all the truth about that girl. She loves you. You have been her constant. She will choose you. She will always choose you. Regardless if she has a history with our dipshit of a brother. She will choose you. Shoot your shot, man." As if on cue, Allie looks up at me and smiles before blowing me a kiss.