Part 2, Chapter 12 - Smiles

Sunset fell over Drematlan as Trey guided Floyd to its beach. It was accessed through its pier, tall enough to keep the waves at bay during high tides. Elsewhere by the pier, William parked near a bar, Brye read a Holobook under a tent, and Morgan stopped and disintegrated his motorcycle near a statue of a merfolk.

"It's been so long since I last stepped on this beach," reflected Morgan as Punchy and Shooty caught up to him. "I wished I could've taken Harold here. It's more beautiful when the sun goes down."

"You're not going to hit the water dressed up like that, are you?" asked Punchy.

"Of course not," Morgan chuckled. A cabin with changing rooms was near him, with Punchy and Shooty waiting for him outside.

Floyd was glad he wore shorts going just below the knee, even when he never knew he was going to step on the sand. He entered a changing room near him and put on a tank top and some sandals. He had just remembered he did learn to swim, even if just in pools no deeper than his height. What he couldn't remember was if he was near a coastal city, even when there was one near Gaudulunpuru. "This is the first time I go to the beach," he said as he went downstairs with Trey by his side.

"As someone who goes to Drematlan's beach every week, I can assure you it's a refreshing experience you'll never get tired of," commented Trey. "So long as the tides aren't high, and jellyfish don't hit the water."

"I'll be careful."

"I also like going here because listening to the waves washes off my concerns. They should wash off yours, too. Even after we left the aquarium, you looked uneasy."

Floyd felt the sand on his feet, with the sandals being the only thing keeping him from directly stepping on it. He grinned and kneeled near the water, allowing it to reach his forearms. His cyborg parts could endure anything, and he had known it since the day after he woke up. He picked up a handful of sand and allowed the water to wash it off, revealing a few seashells. "Huh? What are these?"

"They're called seashells, Floyd," Trey crouched by his side. "People like to use them to ornament their homes, others make their profits with them. You'll find a lot of these around this beach, and, as far as I know, any other coastal city you visit."

"So, no one will mind if I pick up some of these and take them with me?"

"No one at all! Except for the crabs. Best if to leave a shell alone if one gets on your hand."

Floyd scavenged the beach for seashells, forgetting about his concerns along the way. Even when he wasn't tired of walking, he built sand piles and ornamented them with his findings.

The environment of the bar William and Roy were at was more relaxing than they could have imagined; warm lights and soothing tropical melodies relieved their stress, though they hadn't forgotten about their mission.

William finished a glass of gin. "Don't fear having another glass, William!" Roy told him. "It's our day off, you can do whatever you please!"

"I can't, Roy," William gently shook his head. "I must drive, and someone needs to look after you. Brye can't stand you much, and regarding Floyd, I don't know if he can tolerate your impulses either."

"You're right. Still, thank you for taking me here." Roy drank his cocktail.

"You're welcome. Just don't have too much or you won't be able to fight tomorrow."

"Evening," Brye showed up, smiling at both William and Roy. "How has our day off treated you?" They sat down.

"Well, considering Floyd isn't around... I took Roy to the lighthouse, and we had a moment for ourselves. I confessed to him what I felt, and we hugged so firmly, I knew he always understood me." William blushed.