Chapter 2 - Esther Albright

The bell rang, finally lunch time. Emma and Esther both stick around, searching through and walking around the school. Emma does her best to give Esther a tour and after that, they head to the cafeteria to have lunch and they gather all their food to sit down at a table near the corner. They ate in silence. Until they start talking more about their schedule. "And I'm sure that's all you really need to know. So if you even want to pack up your own lunch, you can." Emma said. Esther nods while taking a bite of her sandwich. "And our last class is after this?" "Yup, but don't worry. It's a short one." Emma turns to spot her brother with his friends, sitting far away from Emma and Esther's table. She can see them making a mess, with loud hustles. Laughing, smacking the tables, and loudly making messy and horrifying noises to which Emma frowns and looks down at her neatly yet almost empty tray. Emma noticed this. "Who are they?" She asked. "That's my brother. His name's Daniel..." Emma sounded blue. The name of her brother was like a curse word that she hates to hear, she and her brother don't go well together. That brother of Emma looks at Emma's table with Esther from their corner and he turns to whisper things to his friend's ear. Again. Lucky that their table was at least a few steps away, Emma couldn't hear them this time. She slouches and avoids eye contact to Daniel's direction. But there were times she did look back at them time by time. "Does he always do that?" "What?" Emma, this time turns to face Esther. "He seems too attached to his friends, do you think they do things they weren't suppose to do?" Emma never thought about it. For her, she knows a few things Daniel did. And it comes from home. Like the one time he stole dad's money for a pack of bubblegum. He lied to mom once about the accident of breaking grandma's favorite vase. And that one time where he may have pushed Max to a puddle of mud and he defended himself that she tripped. "Boys are boys." Emma respond. "I hate boys." Esther laughs at that. "Do tell." Before any of them could go on more about it, a girl walks towards their table and roughly pushes Emma's body by shoving her shoulder by her side. "What are you doing? freak." The girl asks. "Who are you?" Esther asked. "Brenda." The curly long hair girl said. "Why are you here with this one? Shouldn't you be alone with nobody?" Surprisingly, Brenda was talking to Esther. Emma would always get used to Brenda talking mean things about her, she wasn't used to seeing Brenda talking to someone else, so she watches. "I don't see what you mean." Brenda scoffs. "Uh. Boring. You're another monster, aren't you?" For Emma's relief, Brenda walks slowly away from their table. "See you later, ugly." Brenda gestures to Emma. The feeling of shame that Emma feels always sticks. "Don't listen to her." Esther said. She adjusts Emma's curly hair from her face and tucks it behind her ear. Smiling as she plays a little bit with her hair on her fingertips. Emma nods along. "She's always like that." And with that said Emma and Esther left to begin one more class.

...

The last bell, dismissal. After finishing the last subject, all students head their way out of school, looking for their parents or guardians to pick them up. After most of the kids left, Emma and Esther walked out with their bags strapped onto their back. "Who's picking you up?" Emma asked. "My daddy. How about you?" "My mom, she'll pick me and my brother today." The two girls scan around the grounds, their parents and cars weren't seen. Only the other kids' parents and cars. Deciding to wait, both Emma and Esther sat down on the school's stair slabs. "Where are you from? You have an accent I have never heard of." Esther looks away, to look out the grounds in case her father comes to get her. "Russia. I'm from Russia." That made Emma tilt her head. "Russia? I'm not familiar with many countries." Esther smiles at that.

"Tere, Emma. See olen mina, Esther. Ma räägin sinuga." (Hello, Emma. This is me, Esther. I'm speaking to you.)

Esther said. She watches as Emma turns to her, a confusion written all over her face. "Was that the language?" Emma asked. "What did that mean?" Sadly, before Esther could answer, a woman honked her car twice at them which distracted them. The woman came out of the car to wave at Emma, it's Kate. And to recognize her as her mom, she jumps up to head her way. But before she could reach her, she turns to Esther. "I'll see you tomorrow?" Emma asked. "Of course, I'll be here for you." Esther said. Waving out goodbye. Emma waves, she looks up to see her brother coming out too. Esther looks at your direction and sets her eyes on him. "Bye!" Emma said, not wanting to waste time for her mom waiting for her son and daughter. And when Daniel and Emma made it through their car, Kate went back inside to start driving the car.
"Alright, let's go." Kate said. "How was everyone's day?" "Emma made a new friend." Daniel said. Making Emma look at his direction for not letting her say the words. At that point, it should have been Emma who announced that. But because she has a brother like Daniel, he makes her silent as a leaf. "Really?" Kate faces to look at Emma, a smile appears in her own face. "What's their name?" "She's a new girl in school." Daniel answered, not even letting Emma talk. "I saw them at lunch. And they had lunch together." "Well, that's very nice. Do you know her name, Emma?" She asks so that Emma could have a turn to answer. Emma glances at her brother if he'll interrupt but he doesn't know the girl's name so she was left to answer it herself. "Esther."

...

With the Albrights.

The family of a strong supporting mother, a brave fencing champion son, a father whose art is his passion, and a daughter who relates. A father and daughter alike. And by then, their names were Allen Albright and Esther Albright. Yes. Esther's family. They lived once in a big house, somewhere else and far away. Their house from before was beautiful, memories were held there and all the activities that the family were good at were created. But unfortunately out of nowhere, a fire happened all around their house. It was a terrible one which burned everything down and lost two family members. The mom and son. They were miserable. And after that accident, the father and daughter were left to move somewhere safe. As the mother and son are out of the picture. They lived in a normal house, with neighbors who don't even know them. Back from school, where Esther was left alone to wait for Allen. He arrives later, then he picks her up and drives their direction to their destination. "Everything alright, honey?" Allen asked. Esther was sitting in the passenger seat. Looking outside her window and seemingly so focused. Her mind was too focused on her thoughts. She didn't hear Allen at first till she heard him again. "Yes?" Esther asked. "Are you alright?" "Yes." Esther said but after that they went quiet. After a long ride, they made it to their garage. Allen parked the car and unleashed his seatbelt. Esther follows later. The father went to the kitchen to cook up something for dinner and Esther went up to her room. The first thing she did was write things down in her journal, a small book with a strange brown cover. While just two people live in one house, they just continue their habits. Later the father came to knock on Esther's door, to tell her that dinner is ready downstairs. Esther hid her journal away and followed Allen down to sit down and eat up their meals. "So, honey. How was your new school?" Allen asked while slicing his steak. "Good." Esther smiled. "I made a new friend there, she is so pretty." "Really? Well that's wonderful." Allen then grabs Esther's hand which was resting on the table and he smiles and asks "What's her name?" Esther answered like it was sweet and sticky just like honey on her lips. And the name was like the most precious thing in the world. "Emma. Emma Coleman."