6 - Growing Trust

"Hey!! Maki!! Ope-!"

Kaede stopped abruptly, her hand about to start knocking on Maki's dorm door as it opened. Just inside stood the brunette, her eyebrow raised pointedly. It weakened the pianist's resolve a little but she shook it off.

"You didn't think to let me meet you at the station?" she asked, noting that the pianist was alone.

"Well, yeah, but then I thought it'd be more fun this way!" she replied, a smile on her face. It didn't make a dent in Maki's expression.

"I'm not sure why you'd think that, but sure. Let's get this over with."

Kaede frowned. Listening to Maki talk like that only made her remember why she actually wanted to walk Maki to Shuichi's first lesson. After all, the brunette's refusal to stargaze with them after going to the cafe had opened her eyes considerably, letting her see something she ought to have noticed from the year they spent together. Although it had seemed like she wanted it that way, the caregiver was always by herself, doing little else but studying or working. She didn't hang out with any of her classmates, and only talked to Kaede and her friends when it concerned the project. The pianist hated the thought of living this way, and became adamant to help Maki out in every way she could, even if that meant spending as much time with her as possible to show her how amazing life was when spent with other people.

"Oh c'mon... aren't you just a little excited? We're gonna learn how to be detectives!" she prompted, trying to entice a smile out of the brunette. She recieved a nonchalant shrug as a response.

"I guess? It sounds somewhat interesting."

"That's putting it mildly! Though since you knew I was coming before I started knocking on your door, I guess you're already-"

Kaede then paused, confused, as she realised what she was saying. She looked at the brunette, tilting her head a little.

"Hey... How'd you know I'd come here anyway?"

"....Seriously?" came the curt response. "Your running was loud enough for the whole school to hear."

"Aw, man, was I that loud?"

"No, you- Whatever. Stealth isn't really your thing."

Kaede looked away, embarrassed, as Maki locked her door, but she was smiling inside. She couldn't really argue with her twin-tailed classmate, who always seemed to stay almost completely out of the class's radar and would therefore be more aware of her sorroundings than most. It was impressive, and just the inkling that she would have the opportunity to learn more about her left the pianist with a stronger desire to befriend her.

"Hey, don't say that!" she argued jokingly. "If I'm that bad, maybe you could teach-"

"Hey hey hey!"

Kaede's train of thought was soon forgotten as a familiar voice made the girls freeze. Maki inwardly groaned, an irritated shade surfacing in her eyes.

"What do you want?" she snapped, watching as the purple-haired liar of a classmate sauntered right up to them.

"Damn... and I thought you liked having me around!" Kokichi replied indignantly. "You don't have to be so mean about it!"

"We're not buying the sob story." Maki grimaced, annoyed. The boy looked up, the hurt look in his eyes gone.

"Nee hee hee! You see right through me! How about, as a reward, you let me tag along on one of your nights out? Like last night, right? I was soooooo jealous that you got to stay out so late!"

"Last night?" Kaede repeated, confused. "That can't be right."

"Yep yep! Doesn't it just blow your mind?"