7 - Double Act

TRIGGER WARNING - Murder/Gore. Taking Drugs? (idk if that's a trigger but it's there). I've tried to keep it minimal but it's still here. Just a heads up.

Momota, go to sleep.

Kaito: No way! I bet we can keep this up until morning!

Kaede: I'll take that bet!

Shuichi: Maki's right though. We'll all be tired if we stay up all night.

Kaito: So? Then we'll just drink coffee like you do. Aren't we trying to be detectives?

Shuichi: Very funny. Please, continue associating me with my terrible sleep schedule.

Kaede: Uh oh, is our Shuichi being sarcastic?

Shuichi: Not you too, Kaede.

Kaede: I was only teasing, haha.

Kaito: Still waiting on that answer Shuichi!

If you think a beverage makes a detective, you're dumber than I thought you were.

Kaito: Hey, Maki Roll's back! I was beginning to think you fell asleep!

Why did I let you talk me into giving this idiot my number, Kaede?

Kaito: Hey!

Kaede: Because you looooove me.

Shuichi: Jokes aside.. we should head to bed.

Kaito: No way man! I'm not even tired yet!

Kaede: Me neither!!

....

I'm turning my phone off.

Maki sighed, putting her phone on her bedside cabinet as she collapsed into bed. She stared at the ceiling as her most recent lie shattered the somewhat relaxed mood she was in, listening to the endless notifications as her new friends continued to talk.

Being relaxed... with friends.. how the hell did it come to this..?!

The brunette subtly groaned and squeezed her eyes shut, knowing how much of a mess she made for herself by accepting her groupmates' friendship. However, while she sought to find a way to salvage the situation, she didn't have time to do anything about it. Especially considering the call she was told to expect. To confirm her latest job.

Despite everything, Maki chuckled darkly. She was such a hypocrite. Knowing that Kaede's kindness towards her wouldn't help anyone but accepting it anyway. And she knew she'd be lying to herself if she acted like the pianist's persistence was the only reason she had done so in the first place. So why had she? She was supposed to be her bosses' strongest recruit, so why was she so weak all of a sudden?

Well, I'm screwed. When they get wind of this, it'll be the end for me.

Oh well.