𝑖𝑥. Duchess Daphne

Chapter nine
Duchess Daphne

Chapter nineDuchess Daphne

So . . . A few things had happened while Fleur was trying to catch the clues leading to Lady Whistledown. The Duke had proposed to Daphne. Very quietly, it seemed, because neither she nor Penelope had noticed anything.

            Not only had they gotten proposed, they had gone to the Queen to ascertain a special license to marry early. Fleur supposed Daphne had forgotten all about the prince.

            They were given a special license and married within three days. Fleur and her family (even Henri) attended the ball. The Lachapelles walked up to Daphne, who was receiving congratulations. Fleur was holding Carlotta's arm.

            "Congratulations, Daphne," Fleur said. "Or should I call you Your Grace now?"

            "For you, it's Daphne." She smiled gracefully.

            Franklin added. "I believe felicitations are in order, indeed." He smiled. He actually smiled.

The family walked into the crowd, disappearing into the mass of people. Fleur stayed behind with Daphne. For someone who'd requested a special license because she was so in love she looked rather grim. She more looked like a forced bride. That was impossible, of course, since the Duke initially said he wanted to avoid getting married at all costs.

She tilted her head. "Are you all right?" Fleur asked her.

"Of course." Daphne nodded politely. But Fleur caught the slight tremor.

"You don't look all right," She said. "Just know you shall not be gone forever. Your family shall still be here. We shall still be here. You can always visit." Fleur smiled. She knew how much Daphne loved her family. Maybe that was what was troubling her — being away from her family for so long.

That made Daphne's face clear up in the slightest. "You are too kind."

One last reassuring squeeze of Daphne's hand and Fleur left her to talk to others. She had yet to see Eloise in the crowd. But she knew she had to be here. Eloise had wanted to invite the Lachapelle family to the ceremony at first, since they were all acquainted (Fleur with Eloise and Daphne, Henri with Anthony and Simon, Sloane with Daphne and Benedict, Zahara with Violet). But the ceremony was to be held with family only.

She was roaming through the crowd in order to find Eloise. But Eloise had found her before Fleur had found her. Fleur shook up from Eloise's voice behind her. "Guess who I just ran into?" Fleur turned around to face her friend. "Penelope."

"And did you say anything to her?" Fleur asked, though her eyes were on everyone in the room except Eloise. She was distracted, to say the least.