Chapter Twenty

Lisa

I sit down on the edge of the bed. "You're leaving us today, Dolly. You must be excited."

"Yes, can't wait to get back to my home, my bed, and my ladder," she grins.

Cheeky devil.

I laugh.

"They've organized some home care for you for the next two weeks, just to help you around with showering, getting dressed. All the fun stuff."

Dolly gives me a glare, one that I've seen before in her grand-daughter, and I'm smiling. "I don't need any help. I am a very independent woman, you know."

Now I know where Jennie gets her fire from.

"I know you are, but you need to look after your body too. No more leaping off tall buildings, okay?" I hand her a card and smile. "This is a handyman I use. His name is Josh. He's cheap and decent. Doesn't try to rip off ladies. Use him next time you get any funny ideas."

"Okay, Lisa. Thank you for looking after me. Sometimes people forget about us oldies," she says with an adorable little grin.

I really like this woman.

Dolly reaches over to her nightstand. "Have you tried one of these muffins?" I immediately recognize the Survivor lunch-box and the radio-active green muffins. It has Jennie written all over them. "Ah, yes, I have."

"Horrible," says Dolly shaking her head. I can't help but laugh.

"They taste like saw-dust," Dolly scrunches up her forehead. "I love my grand-daughter more than anything, but why does she think she is Martha Stewart all of a sudden? I don't have the heart to say no when she offers me these things."

Either do I.

"I don't know," I say softly. "I may have to hide my cookbooks. Think she has been going through them one by one."

"Please encourage her to find another hobby, and can you please be a dear and discard these cupcakes for me? She will be in shortly, and I don't want to upset her."

"Of course. I will put them in the trash with mine," I wink. "Our secret."

Dolly laughs, and I laugh with her.

"You know, Lisa... I was wondering..." Dolly leans forward and places her hand over mine. "Do you like women?"

A short, sharp laugh escapes me.

My first thought is, oh my god, Dolly is hitting on me, but common sense eventually prevails, and I say, "Yes, I'm gay."

"Oh, excellent. Apart from her cooking, my grand-daughter is actually a wonderful catch. Bright, funny, caring. I do say that you two would make a beautiful couple. What do you think?"

I struggle to find words. "I, um..."

Dating Jennie? Dolly has got me rattled. "Yeah, she is definitely something."

Dolly pats my hand, looking pleased as punch. "Think about it. Just think about it. I promise I'm right."

~~~~~~

A/N :

Nana Dolly is team Lisa 😌

🫣✌️ for the lack of update yesterday 😅🤭