Seven

Remember to vote ;)

- Julie

___

The days passed in a haze of cautious optimism and lingering doubts. Eldred and I were trying again, and I found myself constantly teetering between hope and fear. It was a warm Saturday afternoon, and we decided to take a walk by the Black Lake. The sun cast shimmering patterns on the water's surface, and the gentle breeze carried the scent of blooming flowers.

We strolled, side by side, our hands brushing occasionally. Eldred seemed different, more attentive and considerate. He kept asking about my classes, my friends, and even my music. It felt like we were reconnecting, rebuilding the fragile bridge that had once connected us.

"Freya." Eldred said, breaking the comfortable silence. "I've been thinking about what you said, about taking things slow." he glanced at me, his eyes searching mine. "I want you to know that I'm committed to this, to us. I'm really trying."

I smiled, feeling a flicker of warmth in my chest. "I know you are, Eldred. I can see the effort you're making, and I appreciate it."

We reached a secluded spot near the edge of the lake, where the willow trees dipped their branches into the water. Eldred spread out a blanket, and we sat down, the soft grass beneath us cushioning our descent. I leaned back on my elbows, gazing up at the sky, trying to let go of the nagging doubts that still lingered.

"Do you remember the first time we came here?" Eldred asked, a wistful smile playing on his lips. "We skipped Transfiguration to have a picnic."

I laughed, the memory bright and clear in my mind. "Yes, and McGonagall gave us detention for a week. It was worth it, though."

He chuckled, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "Definitely worth it. That was one of the best days of my life."

We lapsed into a comfortable silence, the sound of the water lapping against the shore filling the air. Eldred reached out, his fingers intertwining with mine. His touch was gentle, and for a moment, I allowed myself to believe that maybe things could be different this time.

"Freya." he said softly, his thumb stroking the back of my hand. "I know I've hurt you, and I'm truly sorry. I never want to see you in pain again. Can you ever forgive me?"

His words hung in the air, heavy with emotion. I turned to face him, my heart aching with the weight of our shared history. "I want to forgive you, Eldred. But it's going to take time. We need to rebuilt the trust that was lost."

He nodded, his eyes sincere. "I understand. And I'm willing to wait as long as it takes."

We sat there for a long moment, the sun dipping lower in the sky, casting a golden glow over the lake. As the day turned to dusk, Eldred pulled me close, his arm around my shoulders. I rested my head against his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart.

The following morning, I woke up with a sense of anticipation. Clara, my best friend since first year, had invited me to spend the day with her. After everything that had happened with Eldred, I needed the break. Clara had an uncanny ability to make me laugh, no matter how heavy my heart felt.

I got dressed quickly, choosing a comfortable outfit and tying my hair back in a loose ponytail. The common room was quiet as I made my way to the Great Hall for breakfast, the usual bustle of students oddly muted. Clara was already there, sitting at the Hufflepuff table and waving enthusiastically when she saw me.

"Freya! Over here!" she called, her voice bright and cheerful.

I couldn't help but smile as I joined her, the tension in my shoulders easing a bit. Clara had that effect on people. She was a ray of sunshine, always finding a way to make even the darkest days seem a little brighter.