Eleven

My parents used to say I was special.

My entire life, I've had the ability to contact spirits, to draw them into this world and communicate with them. The first time I did it, was with the help of a woman who was experienced in communicating with spirits. My parents had contacted her because I kept dreaming of my deceased uncle. Turned out, he was reaching out to me through my dreams. Not my mum, not my dad, but me because I had the special ability and he could sense it.

Now, all those years later, and I'm trying to communicate the very same person. My deceased uncle. My dad's identical twin brother. Forever twenty years old.

I have memories going all the way back to before I turned two. That's another reason my parents called me special. I had very clear memories of my uncle, him taking care of me when my parents needed some time alone. Him playing with me on the floor of our living room, when we lived above my dads shop, when we shared the flat with my uncle Fred.

I sat on the floor in my empty dormitory, my eyes shut while focusing on the energy coursing through me. The energy I needed to use in order to communicate. My hands rested on my knees, grounding me.

And when I opened my eyes again, he was there. My uncle Freddie was right there, the ghostly figure swaying from side to side.

He looked just as I remembered him, with the same mischievous smile and twinkle in his eyes. The sight of him brought a rush of emotions— nostalgia, longing, and an odd sense of comfort.

"Hey, kiddo." he greeted, his voice echoing slightly, like a memory brought to life. "Been a while, hasn't it?"

I smiled, my heart aching with both happiness and sadness. "Yeah, it had. I've missed you, Uncle Freddie."

He floated closer, his translucent form shimmering in the dim light of the dormitory. "I've missed you too, Freya girl. You've grown so much since the last time we talked. How are things with you?"

I took a deep breath, unsure of where to start. "It's been tough, Uncle Freddie. There's been a lot going on. School, relationships... and people saying things about me that aren't true."

His expression softened with concern. "Sounds like you've had a rough time. Want to talk about i?"

I nodded, feeling the weight of everything I'd been carrying. "It's about this boy, Eldred. He's been... awful. Controlling and violent. I finally stood up to him, but now everyone things I'm the bad guy. They're spreading rumours, saying I made everything up."

Freddie's eyes flashed with anger. "That's not right. You deserve better than that. You're strong, and you're honest. Don't let anyone make you doubt yourself."

I felt tears prick at my eyes, the emotional toll of the past weeks catching up to me. "It's hard, you know? Even when I know the truth, it's hard to ignore what everyone else is saying."

He nodded, his presence a calming influence. "I know, kiddo. But remember, you've got people who believe in you. Your parents, Clara. And me. We all know the real you, and we're here for you."

I wiped away a tear, feeling a bit lighter. "Thank you, Uncle Freddie. I needed to hear that."

He smiled, his form flickering slightly. "Anytime, Freya. You've got a gift, not just with spirits, but with people. Use it to stay strong, to keep moving forward."

We talked for a while longer, catching up on lost time and sharing stories from the past. It felt good to have him there, even if only for a little while. The connection we shared was a reminder that I wasn't alone, no matter how isolated I felt.

As the conversation began to wind down, Freddie's form started to fade, the energy of the moment ebbing away. "Looks like our time's almost up." he said softly. "But I'll always be around, watching out for you. And remember, you can call on me anytime you need."