Six

The days grew darker as the tension between Eldred and me intensified. Despite my efforts to mend the cracks in our relationship, it felt like every step forward resulted in two steps back. I couldn't shake the guilt from my growing feelings for Elias, and I knew Eldred sensed something amiss.

One evening, after a particularly gruelling Potions lesson, I made my way back to the Hufflepuff common room, exhausted and longing for some peace. As soon as I stepped inside, I saw Eldred waiting for me, his expression a storm of anger and suspicion.

"Freya, we need to talk." he said, his voice cold and commanding.

I nodded, my heart sinking. "Alright."

We moved to a secluded corner, and Eldred wasted no time. "I've heard you've been spending a lot of time with Blackwood. What exactly is going on?"

His accusation caught me off guard, and I felt a wave of panic. "Eldred, it's not what you think. He's just been helping me with potions."

"Just helping you?" his eyes narrowed, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "I don't believe you. I think there's more to it."

I shook my head, trying to remain calm. "Eldred, please. You have to trust me. Nothing's happening between Elias and me."

But he wasn't listening. He stepped closer, his face twisted in anger. "You're lying. I can see it in your eyes."

Before I could react, he grabbed my arm, his grip painfully tight. "Eldred, let go. You're hurting me."

He didn't loosen his hold. Instead, he pulled me closer, his eyes blazing with fury. "You belong to me, Freya. No one else. Do you understand?"

The intensity of his words sent a shiver down my spine. "Eldred, you're scaring me."

"Good." he spat, his grip tightening even more. "Maybe then you'll understand how serious I am."

In a sudden, violent motion, he shoved me against the wall, the impact knowing the breath out of me. I gasped, trying to regain my footing, but he was relentless. His hand shot out, striking me across the face. The pain was sharp and immediate, and tears sprang to my eyes.

"Eldred, stop!" I pleaded, my voice trembling with fear.

But he didn't. He grabbed my wrist, twisting it painfully. "You're mine, Freya. And you'll remember that."

Desperation fueled my actions as I struggled against him, finally managing to pull free. I stumbled back, clutching my wrist, tears streaming down my face. "This isn't love, Eldred. It's control."

He sneered, taking a step toward me. "Love is control, Freya. It's about keeping what's mine safe."

I shook my head, backing away. "No. Love is trust and respect. This... this is something else."

The rage in his eyes flickered, replaced briefly by confusion, but it was gone as quickly as it had come. "You'll see things my way, eventually."

With that, he turned and stormed out of the common room, leaving me alone and shaken. I sank to the floor, cradling my wrist, the pain and fear overwhelming. How had it come to this? How had the boy I loved turned into someone I barely recognised?

The days that followed were a blur of anxiety and fear. Every shadow seemed to hide Eldred's looming presence, every corner a potential ambush. I found myself avoiding places we used to frequent together, taking longer routines to classes just to minimize the chance of running into him. The bruises on my skin faded, but the fear remained, an unhealed wound that throbbed with every heartbeat.