TALK ABOUT A HOMECOMING

ELENORE

Hmm, A or the B? A or B, A, B, B, A – why is this so hard! "Just pick one." I had two dress options laid out on my island table.

I could go with A, the toned down, quiet glam ruby red dress, or B, the jewel-incrusted feathery over-the-top champagne mermaid number, which was CUSTOM MADE for me.

Decisions, decisions.

The ruby matched the theme for the fundraiser, but knowing Kim, she would be in a similar color, if not the same shade.

Holding the dress against my body, I tried to trick myself into liking it. But it wasn't giving what it was supposed to. It never did. The dress had only been worn once, and that was to my movie premiere. My team wanted me to look more professional. By 'professional', they meant straightening my hair, forcing me to lose weight to fit into a dress that was two sizes too small, in makeup that distracted from my features. They said it would make me more 'marketable' to the same people who didn't bother to learn how to pronounce my last name.

I had other dresses to choose from but I couldn't wear them yet. They were all sent to me by designers for specific events.

Struggling to decide, I sat on the floor surrounded by my suitcases and clothes I had yet to pack in my walk-in closet. With time wasting, I had to call in the big guns, the brain behind some of my most talked about looks. So, I video-called Kim hoping she'd push me to follow my gut.

I placed my phone on the ring light and held out both dresses. "Okay, before you say anything else, which one? A or B?"

"Hmmm, this is tough," Kim took a few seconds to make her mind up. "Well, I've already seen you in the ruby. And you know how I feel about it."

"Exactly! But isn't the champagne too much?" I asked, dumping the ruby on the floor.

"The other one looks new; bring it closer to the camera." Kim's jaw dropped. "Wait, isn't that the dress you couldn't wear to the Oscars because Tems was wearing something similar!"

"Yeah, yeah, that's her," I replied, flipping my goddess locs back.

"Oh my god! Put it on, Put it on!" Kim insisted. "Are you allowed to put it on? I don't know how these things work."

"It's mine; I can put it on whenever I want. It's the zipping up part that might be an issue," I joked, remembering the fitting. "Okay, give me a sec," I changed into the dress off-camera. "Biiitch!" I gasped, walking back into frame, and showing off the look. Gagged.

"I'm deeply jealous," Kim laughed. "You look stunning! What the hell? And you just had this in your closet?"

"Oh my gosh, shtaaap it, this old thing?"

"Whatever," Kim rolled her eyes.

"But, like, isn't it too much for Seventh Heaven? I don't want anybody's old ass husband getting a heart attack," I asked, outlining my figure.

"I mean, it is a fundraiser, and you are the guest of honor. Displaying the assets would be a good way to... raise funds. And no, it's not too much. Women in town show their ankles now," Kim joked. "I say, go with your gut. Pick B. I like B."

"You're right; I need to take their money. Hashtag reparations," I laughed, changing out of the dress off-camera.

"What time is your flight again? I want to know how early I have to wake Arik up?" Kim asked.

I threw on my robe. "In like two hours. And no need to wake up early; it's a twenty-two-hour flight. Lord, have mercy." I zipped the dress up in its garment bag. "Then I'll have to take another plane to Cascadia Verde; it's not until you leave that you realize we are in the middle of fucking nowhere."