A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

IAN

Flashes of lightning lit up the foggy road as drops of rain dotted my windshield. I had almost forgotten what the drive up to Paradise was like. The rough road. The smell of the marsh. The isolation.

Staring at the tall wall of trees that hid that place, I tried not to think of the last time I had seen it. But the memories were already bubbling to the surface, my heart pounding, sweat collecting around my neck. I tightened my grip on my steering wheel to control the tremors as I drove past the welcome sign. Sara placed her hand on mine. "I'm okay."

"I know," Sara rolled down the windows. My breath had fogged the glass.

"You'd think they'd at least rename this place."

"Ian, do you want to take a break?" Sara asked picking up on the warning signs of me having an attack, but her voice was masked by my heart pounding.

"No. I'm okay- I'm fine," I pushed on.

Ian, calm down; it's not real!

Blood, so much blood.

I could feel it on my skin.

'Why weren't you watching them?'

'Where were you that night?'

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Spiraling down the drain, I hit the brakes and rested my head on the wheel, trying to control my breathing. My heart felt as if it would burst out of my chest.

"Ian—"

"—I'M FINE; just give me a second."

"You are not fine," Sara unbuckled her seatbelt and exited the car.

I lightly banged my head against the steering wheel, unable to control the waves of nauseating terror. I kept my eyes shut, but I could still see the look in Daniels's eyes when he knew we couldn't save him. Sara opened the door on my side. "I'm sorry."

"Ian, you don't need to apologize," Sara stroked my head. "You are here. You are safe. You are not there," she tried to pull me out. "It's all just noise. It is just noise." Sara wrapped her arms around me to calm me down. "Do those breathing exercises—"

"—We should turn back!"

"We're already here," Sara replied, pulling the keys out of the ignition.

"This is a bad idea!"

"Probably, but we have no choice." She kissed my forehead and hugged me tightly, "My big baby."

"Stop smothering me!"

"Come on, big guy. Let mommy drive," she teased as she pulled me out of my seat.

I threw up on the road the moment my foot touched the ground.

"Want me to hold your hair back?" she joked.

I laughed and flipped her off. She got into the driver's seat and started the engine. "Just keep your head down until we get there," Sara told me.

"I'm okay," I hugged myself before entering the car.

~~~

SARA

I knew bringing Ian back here would be triggering, but we had no choice. The freaks got out. The Lightbringers are back, and every second we waste puts even more lives at risk.

I couldn't blame Ian for having a visceral reaction to being in Paradise. I swore never to set foot in this place after that day...

~~~