NOW WE DESCEND

SARA

The morning after was everything one would expect. Nobody spoke. We didn't know how. Everyone went about their routines in somber silence, trying to ignore the gaping hole in our family. Hopelessness, shock, guilt, and pent-up anger hung in the air. And to top it off, eighteen of our guys quit this morning. They wanted to save themselves, and I couldn't blame them. Alexander's death was a wake-up call.

We were too comfortable.

Preparing for the day ahead, I tried to ignore the two empty desks in my office. Alexander's opened the bag of chips was still lying on his desk as if he'd walk in any moment to crack some stupid joke. I sighed. We haven't told his family yet. Ian wanted to give it a few days first. Alexander caught the bug. That's what we were going to tell his family. And then there's Pete. My heart broke for him. He hasn't said a word since yesterday, he won't come out of his room... he won't even eat.

God, had I just told Ian the moment I found out I was pregnant, maybe Al would still be here... maybe. I wiped the tears from my face and sat back in my chair. I needed a break.

Then I felt butterflies. "Wow," I felt it again.

Instinctively, I put my hands on my stomach. Another one. "Oh, hi little guy," tears filled my eyes. This was the first time I felt it move, but the joy I had was fleeting because this moment came at the cost of someone else's life. I took a deep breath. "We are okay," I exhaled.

Then a knock on my door pulled me out of the drain. I readjusted my sitting position to hide the bump. "Come in."

It was Ian.

He sat on the chair across from me with a deep sigh, dark circles under his eyes. He didn't sleep at all last night. "Did you speak to her?" Ian asked about Kim for the tenth time since this morning.

I lifted my eyes from my computer screen. "No." I was still angry at him about last night. "But Arik called an hour ago."

"What did he say?" Ian asked.

"He's gonna be here around 2 p.m.," I replied.

"Good," Ian nodded.

I closed my laptop. "Ian, all we had to do was get her to agree to help us, and you took it as an opportunity to lash out."

He sat back in his chair. "Somebody had to be blunt with her," Ian responded defensively.

"You weren't being blunt. You were being a dick. And Elenore was right, why would you even bring up Uncle Ahmed and Aunty Aminah like that? You even brought up her mother, Ian. What the fuck was that?" I tried not to go off on him. "It was cruel."

He got up. "Well, it's done now," he rolled it off on his way to the door.

"I want you to apologize to her."

"What?" He looked back.

"Yes. I was going to drive up there to do damage control, but I think you should do it instead."

"Yes, boss," he saluted. "And why are you so dressed up?" He finally noticed I was wearing formal clothes.

I stood from behind my desk. "I'm going to pay Carlos a visit. I think he might know something," I picked up my handbag and car keys.

Ian closed the door. "What do you think he knows?"

"That's what I'm going to find out."

"Then what's up with the hot teacher clothes?" He asked with a raised brow.