Chapter 13

Natasha

I stir, panic setting in as the memory of the last thing that happened before I passed out comes rushing back. I expected to already find some gross asshole on top of me, but there isn't. Instead, my head rests in someone's lap. I stay still with my eyes closed, keeping my breathing steady as I take in my surroundings.

I can tell we're in a moving vehicle, the space silent except for the hum of the engine. There were like four or maybe six of them—shouldn't they be bragging about how they're going to take turns raping me?

This isn't my first fucked-up rodeo, unfortunately.

A hand brushes against my hair, and I jerk away, my heart racing. "Don't touch me!" I snap, the words escaping my lips before I can stop them.

It's not like they'll listen, anyway.

A familiar voice shushes me. "It's okay, Nat. It's just me," Brandon murmurs.

My eyes fly open, and I see my best friend gazing down at me, his eyes filled with concern.

I try to sit up, but a wave of dizziness washes over me, causing me to slump back against him. "Lay down. You're still feeling the effects of whatever they drugged you with. Take it slow."

I reach for his face to make sure he isn't a figment of my imagination. The last I remember he was tied up, and our abductors were threatening to kill him. "You're alive," I croak, my throat raw.

"I'm more relieved that you're alive. You were burning up for a long time, but after you threw up on me the third time, your temperature started going down," he explains, his voice tinged with guilt and relief.

It does smell like a hint of vomit in here, but I don't even remember waking up before now. That does explain why he's shirtless, though.

Something wet splashes on my cheek. I realize it's Brandon's tears. "I'm so fucking sorry, Nat," he says, his voice breaking. "I should've let them kill me, instead of agreeing to lure you to the bakery. I thought everything would be okay, that Knox would be with you, but when he wasn't, I knew we were screwed."

I reach up and wipe his tears away, a small smile forming on my lips despite the situation. "I'm not mad at you. I'm just glad you're okay," I whisper.

If they let him live, does that mean they're kidnapping us both? Do they plan to hurt Brandon the same way they'll hurt me?

No. I can't let that happen.

"Do you know where they're taking us?" I whisper, hoping they can't hear us, or at least aren't paying attention.

"Oh, sorry, I'm crying so much I only told you half the story. Knox saved us."

My eyes widen in disbelief. How did he get to us before they could take us? Or kill Brandon? "Knox? Is he driving?" I ask.

Brandon nods, his face barely visible in the dark. "Yeah, we've been driving for a while," he whispers back. "I'm just too afraid to ask him where we're going. Nat, I swear to god when he came in there, he was so fucking pissed, I thought he was going to turn into a werewolf or something. He just killed all of them in a matter of seconds."

I laugh softly, the sound surprising even me. "I guess Daddy Knox saved us again."

He snorts. "Yeah, he did. Although, I really thought he was going to kill me when he realized what I did, and I would've deserved it. I betrayed you, Nat. There's no redemption for that."

"I don't blame you, and Knox wouldn't have killed you," I assure him.

"You're wrong. I definitely thought about it," comes a gruff voice from nearby.