Chapter 3 - The Strangers

"They're back again," said a beautiful brunette woman. Her chestnut locks were tied back into a messy bun. Despite her clear exhaustion from another night of studying, she smiled nonetheless, displaying her ability to welcome all customers to the little cafe despite her lack of energy. Her gentle words shot toward the midnight-haired woman standing behind the counter, cleaning up the mess the often frustratingly lazy waiter, Wesley, had made, at least before he'd been unceremoniously hauled into the back office by the on-duty manager, Belinda.

"How many times is that now?" asked the midnight-haired woman, reaching to tighten her loose ponytail and readjust the birthday badge pinned to the string of her apron. A smile soon graced her lips as she greeted another customer ready to order; there was little doubt the man dressed in business attire had spent some time dwelling over the menu in an effort to decide what he wanted. After all, the family-owned coffee shop may be small, but it didn't lack the choices offered.

"At least twelve that I know of. More if Stephan's comments are anything to go by," added the chestnut brunette. Her name badge implied her name was Andromeda. In the last nine days, she and Echo had observed the two strangers. At first, it had only been one; he'd been polite but quiet, ordering before heading to a table in the corner. Some days, he'd have a book he never appeared to read; others, he'd been typing away on a laptop. He never seemed to be in a hurry and could stay for hours.

The second one with dreamy eyes appeared just days later. He'd not been as subtle as the starry-eyed one. Whereas it had taken days for anyone working at the cafe to notice the younger of the two seemed to be watching Echo, it had taken but hours for them to realize the dreamy-eyed one watched Andromeda like a hawk.

"To change the subject," started Echo, now turning her attention to her best friend. The smile she'd previously worn faltered just a little as her thoughts turned to her father and his odd behavior that morning and the days before. "Dad's been acting weird lately. He reached out to his estranged brother the other day, asking him to look after the house while he's away," explained the midnight-haired woman, confusion ringing through her otherwise calm voice.

"Huh," sighed Andromeda, her ebony eyes not focusing on anything in particular as she recalled her mom's actions over the previous week. She, too, had been acting strangely and insisting on watching old family videos and looking through the photo albums. Speaking in a way that suggested she wasn't going to be around much longer. "Mom's been the same, acting like she's going away for a while but not saying where when I question it. Yesterday, she said, I wish I could see you graduate and be at your side when you get married," worded the barista, confusion evident in her voice, even more so now she was aware that Valentine had been acting in a similar manner.

"Echo," called Belinda, the manager on shift that day. She was a small, plump woman with coffee-colored eyes and straw-like hair dyed a multitude of colors. She never seemed to smile; instead, her brows were always sown together, and her lips pulled into a tight line that helped with the scrawl across her otherwise light features. The pale, midnight-haired woman previously behind the counter, looked around the moment her name was called; her smile faded completely now, even more so upon noticing Belinda had no sparkle in her eyes as she normally did; instead, her coffee eyes were dull and seemed to be filled with concern. Echo didn't hesitate to follow her when she moved to motion for it. As she did so, the barista felt a sudden wave of dread overtake her, gripping her, without prompt, Echo knew nothing good would come of the trip to the back office. It wouldn't be a repeat of that morning when Belinda and a few others had gotten her a cake to celebrate her birthday.

"Your neighbor called," started the older woman, the concern once shining in her eyes now splashed across her face as if she was suddenly afraid to give the news. "You're father collapsed; he's been taken to the hospital," as the words left her lips, Echo paled more than normal before she quickly reached for the strings of her apron, pulling it off with haste. Before the next words could leave Belinda's lips, the normally bubbly barista had all but run from the small office, not bothering to collect her things from the tin locker just outside the door.