Haze of the Future

Ria's POV

As I sat at the kitchen table, my aunt and uncle across from me, I took a deep breath, ready to discuss my plans. The warmth of the morning sun streamed through the windows, casting a gentle glow on the room. I fidgeted with my hands, gathering the courage to speak.

"Marie, George," I began, my voice steady but soft. "I need to go back to my parents' house to retrieve some of my things and... to sell the art gallery."

Marie looked at me, concern etched on her face. "Ria, are you sure you're ready for that? It's a lot to handle."

I nodded. "I've been thinking about it for a while. I need closure. And besides, I've found a few galleries here that I want to look through and purchase. I want to make something of my own, a place where I can publish Mom's art and mine too. Maybe even of different artists."

George leaned forward, his expression supportive yet cautious. "That sounds like a wonderful idea, Ria. But it's a big step. Are you certain this is what you want?"

"I am," I replied firmly. "It's time I stop running from the past and start building a future. Mom's art deserves to be seen, and I want to create a space that honors her memory and our shared passion."

Marie reached across the table, taking my hand in hers. "We're proud of you, Ria. Just promise us you'll be careful. And if it gets too overwhelming, you can always come back, take a break."

"I promise," I said, squeezing her hand. "And I'll keep in touch, call you every night."

"Good," George said with a nod. "We'll be here for you, no matter what."

"Thank you," I said, feeling a deep sense of gratitude for them. "I really appreciate it."

I walked into the café, the familiar aroma of freshly brewed coffee greeting me as I pushed through the door. The chatter of regular customers and the hiss of the espresso machine filled the air. I smiled and waved at a few familiar faces, making my way to the back to clock in.

"Hey, two chocolate milkshakes, please." I could recognize that voice anywhere. I looked up to see Silas grinning at me with... a blue-eyed girl beside him.

I coughed, trying to regain my composure. "On the way."

"You know," Silas started, leaning casually against the counter. "This is my sister, Mia. Not my girlfriend."

Mia choked on a laugh, trying to remain stoic. "You are a weird girl, Ria. You could have just talked to him."

I rolled my eyes, feeling my cheeks heat up. "Like he doesn't know how to lie," I mumbled under my breath, hoping they wouldn't hear me.

Silas leaned in closer, his breath hot on my ear. "Princess, I would never lie to you," he whispered, sending a shiver down my spine.

I turned to face him, trying to keep my voice steady. "Well, it would have been nice to know earlier."

Mia nudged Silas playfully. "See, baby brother? This is why communication is key."

Silas shrugged, still grinning. "I thought it was obvious."

I rolled my eyes again, but a smile tugged at my lips. "Okay, okay. Let me get your milkshakes."

As I turned to make their drinks, I couldn't help but feel a mixture of embarrassment and relief. It was silly to have jumped to conclusions, but at least now I knew the truth.

I handed them their milkshakes, trying to ignore the flutter in my stomach. "Here you go. Two chocolate milkshakes."

Silas took the drinks, his fingers brushing against mine. "Thanks, princess. And don't worry, from now on, no more misunderstandings."