SYM 28: MOM & DAD

VERA

As I pulled into my parents' garage and turned off the engine, a wave of anticipation flooded my senses. Stepping out of the car, I was met with my father's warm smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners with joy.

"Anak, kamusta?" he greeted, enfolding me in a tight embrace.

We hugged for a few moments, the familiar scent of him, like a childhood home, enveloping me. Then he grabbed my overnight bag, and his steps matched mine as we made our way into the house. Inside, the comforting aroma of my mom's sinigang greeted me, evoking memories of family dinners and warm conversations around the table.

"Okay lang, Pa. Life is good," I replied, a smile gracing my lips as I pressed a kiss to his cheek.

He ruffled my hair affectionately before disappearing into the kitchen, likely to playfully pester my mom. As I followed him inside, the warmth of the house and the soft melody of my parents' laughter filled me with a sense of peace and belonging.

My mom embodied the quintessential Filipino mother, finding solace and joy in the act of cooking. My dad's love language was teasing and banter, a way to draw my mom's attention to him.

Growing up, my sister and I often wished for a relationship like theirs with our future partners. Yet, my sister has remained single, focusing on her studies and now her career as a real estate agent, leaving little room for romance.

Then there's my brother, still grappling with the bitterness of his girlfriend's betrayal and the shock of her unexpected pregnancy with another man.

A few moments after my dad stepped into the kitchen, my mom emerged, her face beaming with a smile that stretched across her chubby cheeks. With arms outstretched, she beckoned me to her, and I gladly obliged, enveloping her in a tight hug. I could feel her hand brushing the back of my head as I breathed in the familiar scent of her cooking, a comforting blend of garlic, onions, and soy sauce that brought back memories of home.

"Isdang sinigang?" I inquired eagerly as we pulled apart.

Mom nodded enthusiastically. "Oo, sinigang na bangus."

"Yey! Perfect timing, I haven't had breakfast yet," I exclaimed, following her into the kitchen.

My dad was perched on a high chair, his attention fixed on the bubbling pot before him.

"So, how was Siargao, 'nak?" my dad asked without tearing his gaze away from the pot. I couldn't blame him—sinigang was his favorite dish.

"It was great, Pa," I replied honestly, trying to suppress any signs of nervousness.

Mom seemed to notice my reaction, giving me a curious glance before turning her attention back to the pot to give it a stir.

"Sino-sino nga mga kasama mo dun?" he probed further.

"Langley, Vera, and.....uhm, a few guys, we recently met," I answered, my voice trailing off into a whisper at the end.

"'Nak, could you pass me the salt, please?"

I quickly retrieved the salt, avoiding my dad's gaze as he turned towards me, and handed it to my mom.

"Hon, would you mind setting the table, please?"

I couldn't help but smile at the sweet tone in my mom's voice as she addressed my dad, and his face lit up at the opportunity to do something for her.

They've both retired now, though it took some convincing to get them to stop working. After all, my siblings and I are more than capable of supporting them financially, even though they insist they don't need it. Both of them were teachers and received pensions each month.