SYM 41: GRANT & LAURA

SYDRIC

If someone had told me that being in a relationship would feel like a taste of heaven, I should have either ignored my pappoús' advice when I was a kid and pursued Vera right away, or I could have still listened to my pappoús but pursued her anyway the moment I realized I was capable of being with a woman like her.

I wouldn't have cared if she was with Eric or anyone else at that time.

I would have done everything to win her over, to seduce her and make her fall for me. I would have stolen her heart and made her mine, no matter the obstacles.

Mnn, so much for being a nice guy.

It was another late night for Vera and an early morning for me. I woke up much earlier than usual to have more time to talk with her before heading to the rink for another morning practice with the team. We had lost our first game of the season against the Oilers, but we bounced back with wins in the next three games, lifting the team's spirits and getting everyone pumped up. Our goal this year is to secure more wins than losses and make it back to the conference finals. Achieving that would be incredible.

If we made it that far, I would be able to invite Vera to one of those crucial games. I wasn't expecting her to come to any of my regular-season games, but I do hope she can attend at least one game when the team reaches the finals. It would mean so much to have her there, cheering us on and shouting my name during such a pivotal moment.

Imagining the scene of hoisting the cup once more with her in the audience—wearing my jersey, not just any replica from the store but the one I personally wore during one of my games—smiling brightly at me and the team, is truly the dream. Her presence would add an extra layer of happiness and significance to the victory, making the moment even more unforgettable. I just knew that this championship would be one I would never forget.

"What's that smile for?" she asked, setting her tea aside on the island counter and giving me her full attention.

My smile widened on its own, and I shrugged.

She narrowed her eyes at me. "Are you taking another screenshot again?"

The side of my mouth twitched as I tried to stifle my smile from growing even wider.

"Sydric?" Her voice was now serious.

I licked my lips. "I didn't."

Her eyebrows lifted. She watched me for a moment before taking a sip of her tea, her intense eyes still on me.

"I didn't, I swear."

"Mmm, anyway, what's that about your pappoús?" she asked, steering the conversation back to our original topic—my grandfather's life lessons and the values he instilled in me.

"He always told me to be patient in matters of the heart," I explained. "But looking back, I realize it wouldn't have mattered to me if you were with Eric or anyone else at that time. I would have done everything in my power to seduce you and make you fall for me." I winked.

She chuckled softly, shaking her head. "You're making it sound like it would have been a war."

"In a way, it would have been," I admitted with a grin. "Sure, it would have taken a lot of time and effort. I don't think you were impressed by my appearance or physique at first. So winning you over would feel like a battle in itself."

"Oh, really?" she teased, crossing her arms. "And what do you think caught my attention then?" Her voice softened.

"I think it was more my accent than anything else," I said, watching her eyes sparkle with amusement. "Then there was your fascination with my eyes after our first night together."