SYM 21: HARANA

VERA

"Vera Maria Blanco!"

The shout jolted us all, followed by a chorus of voices. Confused but not alarmed, since those voices were very familiar to us, my friends and I exchanged glances before rising in unison to investigate the source of the commotion outside.

"Must you go shouting her name like that, you dumbass?" Zarric chided, shaking his head in exasperation.

"I knocked, but they couldn't hear me over their laughter," Finn defended himself.

As we moved stealthily towards the commotion, their conversation became increasingly clear.

"You could have waited until they finished laughing," Alaric suggested.

"And what if her fans find out she's here because of your shout?" Zarric retorted

As I swung open the front door, an unexpected sight greeted us. The guys were gathered just below the front steps, each holding a musical instrument, deeply engrossed in what looked like a very serious conversation. They all wore serious expressions, but Sydric looked a little green, as if he was about to puke any moment due to nerves.

"Alright, enough bickering, let's just get in position now," Sydric intervened, guiding them back on track.

Sydric and Finn clutched acoustic guitars, their fingers poised over the strings, while Alaric brandished a flute with a gleaming silver finish, and Zarric wielded a sleek bass guitar, its strings glinting under the light.

"Guys... what's happening?" I asked slowly, scanning their faces until my eyes locked onto Sydric's.

His smile was tinged with nervous excitement as he licked his lips. Just like the other guys, he was wearing a multi-colored, short-sleeved beach shirt with three buttons undone, paired with plain white shorts. They all looked good, but Sydric held a unique allure for me. His slight tan suited him so well, and his light blue eyes shone even brighter

"What's going on, Sydric?" I questioned him, since he was at the center of it all, suggesting it was his idea, whatever they were about to do.

"Hi..." Sydric greeted us, motioning for me to stay where I was. "No, stay there, agápi mou," he insisted as I started to approach. "Let me serenade you. Remember how I promised I'd court you, Filipino style? Well, here's the start of it. Hope you enjoy it," he explained with a charmingly nervous grin before strumming his guitar and prompting the others to join in.

As the melody filled the air, the atmosphere became a cozy haven of musical spontaneity. The heartfelt notes danced through the wind, blending harmoniously with the gentle sway of the leaves and trees around us. In the background, the distant sound of ocean waves merged with the soft chirping of nearby insects, accompanied by a faint bustling from people and establishments in the distance.

Sa walong bilyong nakasilong
Ikaw ang aking nakasalubong
Ating awit ay iginuhit ng langit
At araw-araw napapatanong
Paanong natupad aking bulong
Kung bakit sa tulad ko'y napalapit
Pa'no nangyaring sa 'kin napatingin
Sa libo-libong mga bituin
'Di ko mawaring ikaw ang para sa 'kin
Dalangin kita

His voice resonates with depth and tenderness, a melody that reaches into the core of my soul. The way he gazes at me speaks volumes of his devotion, his eyes filled with an unmistakable love that shines brightly, reflecting in his captivating blue eyes and the gentle curve of his smile as he sings—it moves me to tears. Though I sense my friends sighing beside me, I cannot tear my gaze away from him—his voice envelops me completely.