fifty-seven

It was raining in Orlando.

Caoimhe rang the doorbell and then stepped back nervously, fiddling with her fingers to avoid the urge of biting them.

Drew and Katie were having a date night and her parents were at a work party and couldn't talk. To sum it up, Caoimhe was bored and lonely.

She'd texted Clay a couple times, but to no avail. This was her last ditch effort. If he wasn't home, Caoimhe would drive Katie's car home and snuggle with a pillow while rewatching Parks and Rec for the third time.

The door opened. It was Nick. The twenty-year-old man stared at Caoimhe with a shit-eating grin.

"Hi Nick!" Caoimhe smiled, doing a little wave and instantly hating herself for it.

"Hello there Caoimhe." Nick moved out of the doorway. "I know you're not here for me. Come in, come in. I'll go get Clay for you. He's on Punz's live right now."

"Oh he's streaming?" Caoimhe instantly felt guilty. "I can come back later."

"No, no. You can hang out with me until he's done. I'm bored anyways,"

"Same."

"Alright, give me a second."

Caoimhe waited at the bottom of the stairs as Nick marched up them, banging on a closed door.

"Oh DREAM!" He sang teasingly. "Your GIRLFRIEND is here!"

"Fuck off Sapnap, Punz is streaming." came a faint reply.

Caoimhe chuckled lightly.

Nick called down to her. "Hey Caoimhe, you can come and sit in my room while you wait."

"Coming!"

She walked up the steps and quietly passed Clay's room, where she heard him shrieking at whatever was happening on his computer. She smiled slightly at his dramatic antics and kept walking down the hallway into the guest room.

"Wanna play Among Us?" Nick asked, already sprawled out on his bed.

"I don't really know how to play. Drew made me download it on my phone though." Caoimhe admitted.

Nick moved over on the bed, giving Caoimhe a place to sit. "You don't really need to know how to play. Just do whatever you want and try not to get caught."

"Good advice." Caoimhe snorted, opening the game on her phone while Nick created a new private server.

The two sat there for forty-five minutes, teaming up and laughing as they caused chaos all around. Nick was hilarious and Caoimhe made sure to tell him that in between breathless laughs. Nick had his head on Caoimhe's shoulder and Caoimhe threw her legs over Nick as they accused random people of the killings.

There was a knock at the bedroom door and Clay started talking as he opened it. "Nick, please stop saying shit like that. The chat heard you and started spamming and I had to convince them that I didn't have a girlfriend because twitter would go wild with that and-" He stopped when he saw two people staring back at him owlishly. "Caoimhe?"

"Hi Clay!" She beamed at him with a genuine smile.

"When did you get here?"

"Gee, it's not like I announced it or anything." Nick mumbled, making Caoimhe giggle again.