‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ .𝐢

A proper lady of the ton should not be a friend to a working woman, but Elanora Wakefield often found that rule mindboggling

A proper lady of the ton should not be a friend to a working woman, but Elanora Wakefield often found that rule mindboggling. However, she was aware of the effect her dalliances could have on her family's reputation, so that is why she found herself sneaking home through the back gardens after drinks with her dearest friend. Genevive often invited her for a debriefing after balls or a societal soiree, the two of them either giggling in the sitting room or with the younger woman keeping her friend company as she finished gowns for other young ladies. The Modiste was a busy woman, so when she shared her time with Elanora, she savored it, and the brandy.

This night, however, there may have been one too many glasses shared. It was the night before the debutants would be presented to Her Majesty the Queen, so Elanora was sure to come to greet her friend after spending the off-season away in her familial county home.

"Oh, Nora, these seams!" Genevive hiccuped and set her glass to the side of the workstation. "I think we have overindulged; I think I have made Miss Cowpers hem three different lengths!" Elanora snickered over her glass and conceded.

"Maybe we have Gen," she glanced at the clock and cursed under her breath. "It has grown late, Iris has her debut tomorrow!" She rose from her lounging position on the older woman's settee.

"Yes, yes, you go and rest. Don't want to attend the palace tomorrow unrested and fuming with brandy." Genevive watched her young friend gather her things and get ready to leave. This would be Elanora's third year on the marriage mart, and she had turned down any suitor who offered their hand. In any other family, this might be a point of contention, but her parents and siblings were not put off by this behavior. She had always been of a more independent and free-spirited nature. With her oldest sister, Addison married off to a Duke and her younger sisters Iris and Olive excited for their impending season, Lord and Lady Wakefield felt comfortable allowing their daughter time to explore her academics and other worldly pursuits.

"How scandalous! The Wakefield spinster- a lush!" Elanora kissed her friend's cheek politely in farewell. "I will see you soon." Exiting the Modiste, she scanned the streets carefully before making her way down the street. Her family allowed her much leeway in her lifestyle, so in turn she did not take advantage of their kindness. The streets of Mayfair were empty but still took care to return home unseen. Once she was closer to the residential streets, she made her way between two homes, so she could walk through the gardens that lined the space behind all of the London estates. Elanora attempted to calculate her paces so that she did not stumble with the inebriation she felt and remained quiet.