‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ .𝐢𝐢

The season was already off to a busy start

The season was already off to a busy start. A new scandal sheet had been passed around to the ton, and her sisters had taken to reading them not even an hour after their day at court.

"I will never fathom how some gossip rag could so enrapture you," Elanora mused from her lounging position, plucking boredly on the strings of her violin. She had come down to play for Iris, as she wanted to ensure her dance was perfected before tonight's ball. "I thought you were to be dancing by now?"

Iris and Olive sat huddled over the paper, their heads close together as they animatedly read the paper. "This is not just some gossip rag! She lists us by name," Iris gushed. "She loathes the fact the Bridgertons have been named alphabetically oldest to youngest, and she called Daphne 'a diamond of the first water', our seasons incomparable. Although it is no surprise, anyone could have seen this outcome."

"She also comments on how Mama and father followed in their dear friend's footsteps and named us in vowels only." Olive chimed in. "You are mentioned too!"

"I do not pay mind to what she should have to say, it's recycled squabble that we have heard before. Let me make my assumptions-" Elanora stood and straightened her back, turning her chin up in her most haughty impression. "Miss Elanora Wakefield, a spinster in the making. Maybe her head is too muddled with science and those most unladylike instruments to remember what she is; a lady! It is said she has even taken to fencing after her summer in Greece, of all things!" " Her two younger siblings giggled as Elanora pranced around the drawing room, moving her arm with an invisible saber as she 'fenced' the air around her.

The Viscountess Wakefield stood in the doorway behind her daughters, watching her...performance, with a small smile on her face. "Well, I'm so pleased to see you are working on your quadrille Iris." Her daughters turned to their mother with the same wide smile. The matriarch took the sheet from her youngest two and lovingly laid a hand on her debutante's cheek. "Your sister is right, you should heed no mind to this paper. Now, are you going to dance for me? It shall be the last time you dance at home, you are to attend your first ball tonight."

Their mother took her spot on the couch and watched as Elanora picked up her violin and held it beneath her chin, playing a smile quadrille for her sisters to dance to.