6| An Unexpected Invitation

The following weeks flew by in a blur of work and the comforting routine that Tara and Aarav had established. They continued to spend time together, their bond growing stronger with each passing day. It was a slow, steady process, filled with moments of shared laughter and mutual support.

One afternoon, as Tara was finishing her rounds at the hospital, she received a call from an unknown number. She answered it, curious.

Voice on the other end: "Tara? It's Reyansh."

Tara felt a jolt of surprise. "Reyansh? What do you want?"

Reyansh: "I need to talk to you. Can we meet?"

Tara hesitated but agreed to meet him at a nearby café after her shift.

As Tara entered the café, she spotted Reyansh at a corner table. He looked nervous, a stark contrast to his usual confident demeanor. She approached him cautiously.

Tara: "Reyansh, what is it?"

Reyansh: "Tara, I'm getting married. I wanted to invite you personally."

Tara was taken aback. "You're getting married? Congratulations, I guess."

Reyansh nodded, a slight smirk playing on his lips. "Yes, her name is Ananya. She's everything you weren't. Ready for commitment, for one."

Tara felt a pang of hurt but maintained her composure. "I'm happy for you, Reyansh. I hope it works out."

Reyansh's smirk faded, replaced by a more serious expression. "You know, Tara, not everyone runs away from marriage. Some people actually want it."

Tara felt a rush of emotions but chose to remain calm. "Reyansh, I'm glad you found someone who makes you happy. I wish you both the best."Later that evening, Tara met Aarav at their usual café. She recounted the encounter with Reyansh, her voice steady but her emotions turbulent.

Tara: "He's getting married, Aarav. He even mocked me, saying Ananya is everything I'm not."

Aarav listened quietly, his eyes filled with concern. "Tara, you know Reyansh doesn't define your worth. You made the choices that were right for you."

Tara sighed, feeling a mix of relief and frustration. "I know, but it still stings. I just... I didn't expect to feel this way."

Aarav reached across the table, taking her hand in his. "It's okay to feel hurt, Tara. But remember, you've come so far. You've built a new life here, and I'm proud of you."

As days turned into weeks, Tara and Aarav continued their routine, their friendship deepening with each shared experience. They attended hospital events together, supported each other through tough cases, and found solace in each other's company.

One evening, Aarav invited Tara to a quiet dinner at a restaurant. The ambiance was warm and inviting, with soft music playing in the background.

Aarav: "Tara, there's something I've been wanting to ask you."

Tara looked up, curious. "What is it, Aarav?"

Aarav: "Would you be my date for Reyansh's wedding? I know it's a lot to ask, but I think it might help you feel more comfortable."

Tara hesitated, the idea of attending Reyansh's wedding filling her with anxiety. But the thought of having Aarav by her side was reassuring.

Tara: "Alright, Aarav. I'll go with you."