.•The Interest•.

My eyes loathed the totally empty hallways that offered no chance for even a fly to buzz by. The height of slant books displayed the despair as they had not one eye to please them. Almost everything was similar to the previous section, the middle table, the chairs, and the computer except for the golden hem of paint that adorned the pillars. It was the only new addition, interesting enough.

"You are here for your editor and the mystery-loving client?"

"Long story short, yes. Now that I see it's nothing different, I don't have a fodder for him."

I bit my lips in disappointment because I couldn't find anything promising. I looked at the shelves one after the other akin to a pup on a new surrounding. The feel of an amused ambush rattled my nerves making me tap my thighs.

"Jey, would you like a tour around?"

Her offer seemed interesting but it would yield nowhere.

"Perhaps today isn't the day. I shall take my leave."

I rose to look at her for a ride back. But she sank to the chair more comfortably than before.

"You are a karmic person, I see."

"I don't get it. Thanks. If it's a compliment."

A palpable cloak of silence drizzled as she spied my being.

"You should be that one who loves the bright side of life. Right?"

"Of course, who doesn't? The nature. The beauty. The joy of living amidst them. It's such a blessing."

A corner of her lip bloomed to colour her cheeks red.

"You are poetic. It's been a long while since I had anyone to talk to. Seems like you wish to escape, maybe you should leave."

She pulled a piece of paper and some pens to continue the artwork of spirals drawn with dots.

"I might stay if you could give me a reason."

A wide smile adorned her cheeks to lift them to her ear lobes.

"So what is that drawing you are making?"

"Oh, it's for an art contest. The spiral of life."

She pushed the sheet to me. Looking at the alternative pattern of a group of tiny dots and similar-sized single dots, I was confused.

"This looks chaotic. Why would you take so much pain?"

"What do they remind you of?"

Her vague question tickled my neurons. Her wide eyes narrowed at my stuttering lips did win its chase.

"Atom diagram in 2D and 3D."

"Exactly!"

She lent her fist in a joy that remained unknown to me.

"Life has two dimensions. When we realise its both ends, the third dimension unfolds. Isn't it interesting?"

"That seems like a deep thought... But I don't get it."

I wish I could slap myself straight. She remained composed as her fingers fidgeted with her pencil.

"What are the two ends of life?"

"Birth and dea... Death."

"Yes. Realizing the truth of the two gets you to the point of living your purpose. Simple."

Concluding it, she continued to perfect the strokes. A part of me told this wasn't right while the other protested me to blurt everything smoking my mind. In the riot of reality and stupidity, of course, the latter wins.

"But death is scary and deadly."

"And so is birth."

"Why?"

"You never know if you did wish to be born or was pushed to be here. As far as we are told every infant cries first."

In the flap of a moment, I felt the world in a different dimension.

"That's a good point. Only if infants could answer that."

"Science can reason out the physical changes but the transcending of souls is still a less known fact."

"You pick old books over science?"

Maybe it sounded offensive, but she was just focused on her creation. When she felt it was perfect, she placed it aside.

"Ok, Miss. What do you think is the purpose of living?"

"What do you think is your purpose?"

"I don't know. All I know is that we come with nothing and take nothing."

Akin to a child who was robbed of her happiness she pried.

"Every creation has a purpose."

"Which is?"

"I'm not certain. All that I know is we are born to do something so that when we go we have nothing left undone."

Some words stir some soothe. Clearly, hers was somewhere between both.

"The joy of birth and living isn't found in the event of death. You can't deny it."

"Maybe. All I know is we are given our quest and are tested with distractions. If we pass, we may not return."

"Haahaa. Maybe. This wisdom of yours don't suit-"

"Oh common, Jey. Age is just a number. Perception is everything."

A thickening thirst itched my throat while her gentle eyes reflected the shine of rays that trickled down the floors, making them shine to the shades of honeydew.

"I'm amazed at how you discuss death with much ease."

"What's there to scare for?"

She threw her hands as her eyes rolled to their edges.

"I never had that comfort. To me it was... Inequality."

My fingers played an imaginary piano in the air.

"Why do you say so?"

"You are born with a choice to better your life. But death is an end that steals everything with no warnings."

Her little gusts of laughs made me shrink.

"So you aren't aware of the four letters story?"

"Four letters?"

"Yes. The ones Lord Yama writes to everyone."