°•The Trust•°

A story was the last thing I would choose. But her curious eyes shone making it tough. Warming her palms she leaned.

"Why would the majestic lord of death write letters to humans?"

Her lashes tapped thrice making me think twice.

"Once upon a time, a man, happy and healthy fearing death meditated on him. After the thousands and thousands..."

"Why not make it millions?"

She pushed the chair away to get up and move. Knowing that I was the rotten toy, I mumbled a quick apology.

"No, I'm the one serving sweets when sugars scare you."

"Who said I hate sweets? Serve me at ease."

I sank deeper, bringing back the illumination in her dilated pupils.

"Where was I? Oh, yes. So after that many years, Yama appeared in front of him."

"No way. Anyone who sees him will die the very moment!"

Her claps coloured my cheeks crimson. Reminding me of my summer days with my grandmother.

"Brilliantly said. That's why he incarnated in his form of light."

"Wow. I know what would have happened then. He would have promised to grant his wishes! So the guy didn't die. Right?"

"Ahaahaa. None escapes death. Not even the greatest gods."

Her nods startled me. For all these years, I was living through a lie!

"Oh common, gods are gods for a reason."

"Don't be a fool. Anyone who is created should face destruction. One way or the other. Now just listen."

I complied as fast as I could.

"The man extended a hand of friendship thinking that none kills their friends."

"So smart! After all, it is a sin."

"Very well said. But Yama, the one who rules the loop of thoughts, knew his intentions. So he promised to take the soul away once he delivers all the four letters."

"Oh, like a reminder before the inevitable day?"

I could sense my eyes popping out. Her jittery giggles straightened me. Maybe I was looking like a usual four-year-old story sniffer.

"He then left. But akin to every man, desires and greed weeded his heart. An era of evil sorcery ruled his senses."

Her arms rose in the air. Her fingers clawed the stomach to rise above her head.

"He looted many lands. Killed many lives and predated the woman. His reign grew fearless. Making him the worst tyrant who was feared by the supreme beings, the Devas.

One fine day his hair started turning grey."

I couldn't control the hefty knots crawling up from my belly. Within a blink, I was cracking up.

"Oh common! Haahaa. What good thing does that have to spill than the fact that he is ageing."

"Exactly!"

"Don't tell me then that his hairline receded. He grew bald. Haahaaahaa- Ouch!"

A sharp pain rose in my knuckles as she knocked.

"No, no. After a few years, his tooth began to fall. Eventually, he lost his sight and then one fine day he was confined to his bed."

"Just like it happens to everyone."

"Then one fine day, he could witness two tall ghostly demons take his soul out of his body. Within a few breaths, there he was, facing the majestic lord."

My brows scrunched to the narrowest it could. She could see the question written on my face.

"You didn't get the four letters?"

"No. They were never there!"

"Haahaa. You are just the same man. Haaahaa."

"He aged like everyone and died. I'm sure hell was the fate. But Yama didn't write. Not even once."

Like an umpire in the middle of the game, I was battling her gusty laughter with my one finger.

"Seriously? Do you think he will write with ink and paper?"

"Ink could be anything. Blood or magic water or whatever. But paper or cloth is a must. Maybe he sent words, if so, who was his messenger?"

This time I was confident but my trembling elbows told me otherwise.

"Oh, the humans! My dear Jey, Yama did write all his four letters to remind him of his duties."

"What?"

"His body was his paper. Those changes were his cautions. The time was his messenger. That's what he said when he was questioned."

My lips remained glued. It was one of the biggest gambles I had ever heard.

"It was a huge betrayal! Poor him."

"Eh? He did what was right. Even now he did keep his word. Aren't we still getting his letters?"

A gripping flee of ambiguous silence ruffled my senses. My nerves boiled as queries pranced them.

"No way!"

"Why not?"

"If you want me to accept that, then how do you explain the death of infants, children or anyone who dies before their hair turns grey?"

Her eyes creased but the gentle shine on her face never dimmed.

"As it is said, karma plays a vital role amidst deeds and desires. I certainly can never explain that linearly."

"Deeds, yes. But desire? Why should they even exist?"

Turning my head to the sides I humbled the wild grunts stirring my gut.

If the end is a void, desires are the trap.

"Indeed, they test the world. Like examinations. It helps."

"Freaking topper system. Huh?"

"You can't expect a common man to scrub in to save life. Anyone can hear the words but not everyone is wise enough."

She took my hands in hers. Her caresses even if they were gentle, rooted deeper through those intricate reasons.

"Everyone gets the chance. It's their will to snake through the desires that would liberate them of their ties."

Everything I heard tricked my heart into beating in a different depth. Giddy throbs quietened as I felt her hold getting firm. A shudder glided down my spine, and beats of sweat began greeting my creases. As they trickled down my wrist, I noticed my watch beep the red lights.

"Ah... I guess I have to-"

"Yes, it is time."