.•The Quest•.

People say blood is thicker than water. But she was thicker than blood.

"You sure you would not want me to?"

"I have been bothersome enough. I shall take my leave."

She waved. The simple smile adorned her lips like the pretty petal on a flower. Bidding my bye, I turned. A little jitter did push me to ask for her contact but I did shut that down.

We wouldn't be the one.

Ever been in such a moment? Where it all felt like a gracious swan. The one that clamoured its wings to stir the euphoria only to get you the adrenal rush as it suddenly bursts your voids. Something that you never knew existed within.

I just had that moment.

She could break my beliefs, shatter my hopes and tell me tales that interested me.

"Ouch!"

I exclaimed as I walked. A large rock supporting the fire-cart buckets crashed on my toes.

Was this here all these times?

I wondered. Or did I not notice it back then?

Perhaps I was busy falling for her.

No wonder why women are something men should be afraid of. Yet, she was different. Untainted in every way. I took one look back, a last peek. Sighing out my trafficking thoughts, I climbed down.

"Hello Mr!"

The lady from the counter called as she lent the pen to sign the time as I was about to leave.

Did I forget even that?

"Wait a minute or two to get the book you have picked. And yes renewal is a must for every five days."

Her cautions made me unease my cheeks. As I signed the register, I cast a confused stare.

"Perhaps you got the wrong person, Ms... Anisha."

I read as I looked at her pinned badge on the chest. Before she could respond, a thin man with grey hair rushed to us.

The first letter!

I could see my mind muse on its own. Shrugging the bit to my gut I scoffed as she scanned the bar code to type the details.

"Mam-"

"19271. South zone. To Mr Jeyanth Amirthan."

My last name? I'm certain I never mentioned it. Not even in my last card.

Breaking my hustles, she pushed the book.

"I didn't get this. Perhaps Ms Suparna did-"

"Suparna? Who?"

Her perfectly structured brows muddled.

"The philosophic librarian of the South. The one who attended me."

"Thirteen years of experience and you introduce me to the staff?"

Her arrows poke deep. She began typing out something on the monitor.  In a moment, she twisted the screen to show me the records. My eyes grew soar at a glance.

Clearly, such a person wasn't there.

"Maybe the computer is corrupt. I was with her the whole time. She even took me in the battery vehicle to the south zone."

Her boiling rage waned as she exchanged some glares with the man beside her. He gently smiled revealing the gaps between his teeth.

The second letter.

"Sir, such kind of things. You think those can be seen in this library?"

His broken query deepened my breath. My core grew numb as my brain ditched me with the recent memories. I had a mouthful of words, but I would look like a stupid man if I let them take charge.

"Ops. Sorry, I'm a bit lost."

"Oh, we get it. Take what's yours and if you may, please."

Puking the words, she retired to her chair. Without a gesture, I took the book. Every step ahead felt like a stone on an aged tomb.

Thick. Heavy. Haunted.

I reached the outer porch, and the summery winds swept my hair. All of a sudden I heard a metallic click.

The third letter.

My rancid thoughts echoed, as I looked at a blind man walking using the sticks to cross the road. I knew not where to go. Nor what to do.

"Ouch. Damn!"

A burning sting in my hand made me flip the book. The idol of the blue lord in his soft embrace sitting upon the golden eagle grabbed my attention. I cupped the book to read the title.

"Garudapuranam by Vyasa!"

I looked at the sky. Estranged from the thoughts that were dining me in their itchy hold. As I hooted through the canopy of giant trees, a massive bird caught my eye. It circled the aquamarine skies between the speckles of cloud, but its wings didn't flinch. Not even once.

"The Garuda!"

I flipped open the page, surpassing the introductions. My heart raced more than the legs of any fastest horse. Between the pages, I found a short tribute with an eagle symbol. I read that.

"Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe, Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe Thanno, Garuda Prachodayath."

Suvarna? Suparna?

I took my phone out to google the name.

"One with beautiful feathers. The other name of lord Garuda?"

My nerves were tricked. I rushed through the pages. Letting a sheet of paper fall to the ground. My hands trembled. Mustering the bits of courage, I picked it up.

Priyothama Jey,

You didn't inquire me his name. But as a friend, I shall reveal it to you. He was Amirthan. Your gruesome fate pitted my heart when I heard about it. May this birth benefit you. You shall not wait till the last letter this time. You shall know this would be your last quest.

Suparna.

The message was written in a font that I had never seen ever before. Gulping down my fears, I flipped the paper.

The same spiral!

Streaming bits of ambiguity surged through my vessels, bathing me in the ripples of sweat.

Did I hear about me all this time? Was I that tyrant?

I couldn't explain. Out of nowhere, I looked at the sheet upon the rays of the sun. I could see a trace. Taking the effort to connect them from the start to the final point, I could see the figure.

An eagle head.

I knew not what happened. My eyes brimmed with tears as my pupils followed the majestic circling figure flying in the sky.

Perhaps this was my last letter.

As the thoughts chunked, the figure began to shrink. Flying to the abode, he shrunk to the size of a dot. The one that resembled the sketch that rested upon my hands.

Maybe his quest ended. But mine had just begun.

|THE END|OM TAT SAT|