Chapter 12: Betrayal and Backlash

Since the chaos that erupted during the last Quidditch match, Ron's prediction had proven true - Malfoy and his cronies had refrained from bothering Neville. For the first time in a long while, Neville could walk through the corridors of Hogwarts Castle without the constant fear of being picked on or ridiculed. It was a welcome change, one that allowed him to finally feel a sense of peace and security within the school's walls.

In between classes, Neville found solace in the Hogwarts greenhouse, where Professor Sprout tended to her magical plants and herbs. The earthy scent and vibrant greenery provided him with a sense of calm and purpose. Neville often volunteered to help Professor Sprout with extra errands, relishing the opportunity to immerse himself in the world of Herbology.

One particular day, Neville found himself in the greenhouse with Professor Sprout, his hands covered in soil as he diligently carried out tasks assigned to him. Professor Sprout, a kind and nurturing mentor, had taken notice of Neville's growing passion and skill in Herbology. She started entrusting him with tasks beyond his first-year level, recognizing his natural gift for working with magical plants.
As Neville carefully pruned a Whomping Willow sapling under Professor Sprout's guidance, he overheard voices approaching. Hiding behind a row of potted mandrakes, he listened intently as Malfoy's sneering voice cut through the air.
As he was hidden from view, he strained to hear every word of the conversation happening just outside. His heart pounded in his chest as he recognized the voices of Draco Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle.

"You won't believe what I saw today, Crabbe, Goyle," Malfoy's voice carried through the still air. "I caught Potter, Weasley, and Granger red-handed at Hagrid's hut. They've only gone and got themselves a dragon."
Neville's eyes widened in shock. A dragon? Harry, Ron, and Hermione with a dragon? It seemed unfathomable.
"A dragon? No way, Malfoy, you're pulling our wands," Crabbe's voice sounded skeptical.
"I swear on my family name, it's the truth," Malfoy insisted. "And that's not even the best part. Weasley's in the hospital wing because that dragon bit him on the hand."
"Ha! That's what he gets for messing with dangerous creatures," Goyle's rough voice chuckled callously.
"Exactly," Malfoy continued, his tone cold. "And here's the interesting part - Potter's planning to get rid of the dragon tonight. I overheard him talking about it."
"What are you going to do about it, Malfoy?" Crabbe inquired, curiosity lacing his words.
"Oh, I've got a plan, don't you worry," Malfoy's voice dripped with malice. "Tonight, I'm going to catch them in the act. Once I have proof, I'll make sure they're expelled from Hogwarts."
Neville's breath caught in his throat. Expelled? Harry, Ron, and Hermione expelled from Hogwarts? He couldn't let that happen. Determination flared in Neville's eyes as he made a silent vow to protect his friends at all costs.

He needed to confirm the truth of what he had overheard Malfoy saying about Harry, Ron, and Hermione and their dragon escapade. He Swiftly, made his way to the hospital wing, where Ron was said to be recovering from a bite wound.
As Neville entered the hospital wing, he spotted Ron lying on a bed, his hand bandaged and looking rather miserable.
"Hey, Ron," Neville greeted softly, approaching his friend's bedside. "How are you feeling?"
Ron glanced up, offering a weak smile. "Hey, Neville. Could be better, to be honest."
Neville took a deep breath before asking, "So, where did you get that bite from?"
Ron hesitated for a moment before replying, "Oh, it was just a dog bite. Nothing serious."
Neville arched an eyebrow, knowing Ron was not telling the whole truth. However, he understood Ron's reasons for keeping the real cause a secret, especially with Madam Pomfrey bustling around the ward.
"Right, a dog bite," Neville nodded, playing along. "Well, I hope you get better soon, Ron. Take care."
With a final reassuring smile, Neville turned and left the hospital wing, his mind racing with the urgency of his next task. He needed to find Harry and warn him about Malfoy's sinister plan.

Making his way to the Gryffindor Common Room, Neville scanned the room, but Harry and Hermione were nowhere to be seen. Frowning slightly, he settled into an armchair by the crackling fireplace, deciding to wait for them.
Time passed slowly, the fire's warmth lulling Neville into a sense of calm. Fatigue caught up with him, and before he knew it, his eyelids grew heavy, and he drifted off to sleep.
Neville jolted awake suddenly, his heart pounding in his chest. The clock on the wall read 12:10, and Neville's eyes widened in alarm. Harry would have already left! There was no time to waste. He had to find Harry and warn him.
The common room was empty and quiet, the crackling fire casting eerie shadows on the walls.