Chapter 2: Hogwarts Awaits

Neville sat nervously on the Hogwarts express, the rhythmic sound of the train wheels on the tracks providing a soothing background noise. He had found an empty compartment and settled in, looking forward to the journey to Hogwarts. As he relaxed into the seat, he absentmindedly reached into his pocket to check on Trevor, but to his dismay, Trevor was missing again. Panic surged through Neville as he frantically searched his compartment for any sign of Trevor. With a sinking feeling in his stomach, he realized that the toad must have hopped away while he wasn't paying attention. Determined to find Trevor, Neville decided to check the other compartments on the train. As Neville walked down the crowded corridor, he peered into each compartment hoping to catch a glimpse of Trevor. However, every compartment was filled with students chatting excitedly, their belongings strewn about as they settled in for the journey. Neville Hesitated, feeling small and insignificant among the other and more confident students.

Near the end of the corridor, Neville spotted a compartment with only two occupants- two boys one with red hair and the other with black hair and glasses. Summoning his courage. Neville knocked on the door, his voice trembling with worry. "Sorry, but have you seen a toad at all?" Neville asked, his eyes darting around anxiously. Both boys shook their heads. Neville felt so defeated, if he couldn't find Trevor his Grandmother would be so disappointed with him and he hasn't even stepped foot in the castle yet! "I've lost him! He Keeps getting away from me!" The boy with black hair and glasses looked at Neville kindly and offered him some reassurance. "He'll turn up." Neville felt a wave of gratitude wash over him at the boy's comforting words. "Yes, well, if you see him..." Neville trailed off, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment at his emotional outburst.

Feeling defeated and alone, Neville's shoulders slumped. He knew that without help, finding Trevor would be nearly impossible. Just as he turned to head back to his compartment, his thoughts consumed by despair, he accidentally collided with a girl with bushy brown hair. "Ouch, are you okay?" the girl asked, concern evident in her voice as she helped Neville steady himself. Neville stammered "I-I can't find my toad, Trevor. I've looked everywhere, but he's gone." The girls eyes softened with understanding. "What's your name?" she inquired gently. "Neville," He replied quietly. "Well, Neville, I'm Hermione Granger," the girl introduced herself with a warm smile. "Let me help you find your toad." Hermione took Neville by the hand and hurried down the Hogwarts Express corridor, her bushy hair bouncing with each step. She had a determined look on her face as she marched to the compartment where Neville had just left in search of his lost toad. Hermione rapped on the compartment door, breaking the conversation inside. "Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one," she announced, her voice carrying authority and urgency. "We've already told him we haven't seen it," replied the red-headed boy inside the compartment, but Hermione's attention was elsewhere. She noticed the redheaded boy was holding his wand in a manner that suggested he was about to cast a spell. "Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then." With that, she sat down, leaving Neville standing in the doorway, his disappointment at the change of topic evident. Still, he couldn't deny his own curiosity about the impending spell.

The red-headed boy, taken aback by Hermione's request, hesitated before clearing his throat and reciting a spell:

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,

Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

Waving his wand with a flick of his wrist, the boy eagerly awaited the magical transformation. However, to everyone's disappointment, nothing happened. The rat on his lap remained grey and fast asleep, unfazed by the attempted spell. "Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice and it's all worked for me. Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of witchcraft there is, I've heard – I've learnt all our set books off by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough – I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?"