Interlude: The Sovereign & The Overseer

With Christmas only three days away, the lakeside town of Lucerne was filled with a festive air. The old town—a relic of the past, was decorated with strings of light that hung over the main street. Each string was tied to one of the Gothic-era, medieval manors and cottages, which were nestled across the Bahnhofstrasse street on the banks of river Reuss.

Welt Yang, the current sovereign of Anti Entropy, gently touched the rims of his specs, placing it into position. His muffler was loosely wrapped around his neck as he sipped hot chocolate that Theresa had bought him minutes ago.

He held a copy of the indictment in his right hand, which had the name Alejandro Martinez printed on it. It was decorated with the Schikcsal logo (two wings) and a devil's head impaled with a sword. This document held the indictment and a report on the infamous operation 'Dusk' that the accused had designed and executed.

Welt sighed and took another sip. His body felt warm as the drink entered his system, protecting him against the chilly eddies that blew past him. It was his idea of not using his car today because of the morning sun, but now, late in the afternoon, it felt like a foolish decision.

The warm and comforting rays of the sun were now gone, leaving dark grey clouds hanging. There was no snowfall yet, but his watch predicted it was only a matter of time. Crossing the street, he entered the Reuss river sidewalk. The path before him was laded in snow, though it was a thin layer, thanks to the town workers. On either side, cylindrical structures, similar to hydrants, were placed every ten meters.

Out of curiosity, Welt decided to observe one of them. As he shuffled closer to the structure, he noticed that it had a crystalline surface that was burning red. He had heard about this element and its heating properties but had never seen one at work like this. The inhabitants of this town had converted a crystal with natural heating properties into a public heater.

He smiled as he turned his gaze towards the river. Despite the minus temperature, the pristine surface of Reuss had yet to freeze. Though on closer inspection he could see the edges had already begun to frost.

Welt exhaled from his mouth, letting out smoke. His eyes sparkled with innocent joy as he continued to do the same for a while. It reminded him of his childhood days when his father would take him to cold cities and villages. There was always something magical about winters that Welt could never understand. Was it the festive atmosphere? Or just the fact that the world seemed to be in a collective slumber? He didn't know, but personally, it was his favourite time of the year.

As he walked down towards Chapel Bridge, he gazed towards the majestic Swiss Alps that hung in the backdrop of this medievalisque town. And only a few kilometres from him was the grandiose Lucerne lake. The town of Lucerne, or Luzerne (in German), was nestled at the downfall of river Reuss and Lake Lucerne. And with the likes of the Swiss Alps surrounding it, this place made one of the most picturesque towns Welt has been to.

In contrast to Kolosten, this place seemed filled with life. Welt couldn't believe Otto had chosen this place as his secondary headquarters. With Chapel Bridge in sight, Welt stopped. He turned his gaze towards the main street, where a statue of a lady stood. It was very similar to the holy maiden statue in Kolosten, yet the face was etched differently.

On closer inspection, Welt also noticed that the school of art that had designed this statue differed from the one in Kolosten. Kolosten followed the tradition of Austrian-German philosophy with a more enlightened ideal in its figures. But the one in front of him had the ferocity of a warrior with eyes as gentle as a saint.

The hair was wavy, and the lady seemed clad in a medieval Schicksal uniform. She was barefoot, and in her arm, she held a lance chiselled in the likes of the abyss flower. On the stone platform on which she stood was a gold plate. On it were the words: Friede Schariac, the second coming of Holy Maiden Kallen Kaslana—Lucerne's Hero—Valkyrie Of Justice.