Better Call Wraith

Under the golden light of the Baroque-style chandelier, Sal sat. His hands clasped over the table as he awaited the barrage of questions—supposed lawyer—was about to ask. The faint noise of Vespas and Sedan trickled from the Bahnhofstrasse street; if one would focus a bit more, one would hear the gentle waves of Reuss splashing on the five-century-old Chapel Bridge. The noises of a myriad of people walking as countless stories converged, it made Sal wonder how significant his own story was.

There was a creak as the glass door facing the street opened, and with it came an uninvited Swiss December breeze—sharp and freezing. It made Sal shiver as he exhaled over his hand, trying to keep himself warm. As he rubbed his palms together, he could feel the cold rush through them. His fingers were tinged in pink as his cheeks turned shades of scarlet.

Is it the cold breeze? He wondered.

There was a chime—faint yet pleasant— signalling the glass door had closed. And with that, the unprompted guest left. The noise of the outside world, ever so loud, faded as the classical music flaunting the likes of Beethoven and Mozart trickled in, captivating those who awaited their order. Under

In this Romanoesque-styled Italian restaurant, everyone had their own stories, each more unique and kaleidoscopic than the last. They exchanged dialogue in languages Sal had only heard in movies and sometimes offshore missions. On the table right next to them was a lady, a redhead wearing a brown cardigan; her eyes were a shade of forest green that Sal wasn't aware of. She was sitting with two other people, one boy and one girl; both had the same hair colour as the older lady, save the girl's eyes were amber and the boy's were the same as the lady's. They all spoke in Spanish. Their conversation seemed to be filled with joy—or at least the tone was.

And just like that one table, there were multiple others, each basking under the golden shimmer of the antique chandelier, exchanging dialogues filled with joy and the spirit of festivity. And even if the languages spoken were alien to Sal, the energy was contagious.

His shiver slowly dissipated as the knots in his stomach came undone. He was nervous—as much as a convict could be—but he knew it was all right. Not in the sense he wouldn't be guilty, but just in his guts, his instincts soothed his precarious mind.

He glanced at the restaurant again, earning a questioning look from Kiana, who was now sitting next to him. Sal's sea green met her sapphire blue, and for a brief moment, he was lost in them. He could see the reflection of the arch-carved stone walls in them, along with glistening gold and finally himself. His lips were curled into a warm smile, something he hadn't seen for ages.

"What?" Kiana inquired, her head swaying downwards, making her white locks fall over her shoulders gently. Unlike most of the days, she had decided to keep them open.

"Nothing," He replied as he broke eye contact with her.

Kiana narrowed her eyes and sighed. "If you say so."

Giving her another smile, he returned to the matter in hand. The indictment copy was now with them. It was pretty straightforward. The criminal was Sal Apocalypse, his crime: planning and being part of the biggest genocide designed by humans. And his trial timings: sixteen hundred hours, CET, 22nd December 2019.

"Do you have any questions regarding the indictment?" Wraith asked. Her fingers touched the rims of her magenta glasses, placing them back in position.

"Not really," Sal replied, playing with the ballpoint pen Fu Hua had passed. He was to sign the other piece of paper lying right next to the indictment if he was to avail the attorney service of Wraith. "Everything is crystal clear. Seems like the clerk who drafted this wanted me to know you are going to the gallows criminal."

That remark earned him an elbow from Kiana. Who wasn't very keen on his conduct. Ignoring her, Sal placed the pen tip over the column that said the client's signature.

"Wraith, I just wanted to know," Sal started, his fingers still in place. "Just how are you planning to save me tomorrow?"

"I am not," She replied calmly. Her piercing gaze was still placed on her copy of the indictment. She was still scrutinizing it, trying to find any openings. "My job is to prove to the court that you are not guilty. And that is all I am being paid to do."

Sal chuckled as he gave Fu Hua a thankful glance. She had found them a good lawyer. This person knew her job and, above all, was hell-bent on winning as well. With no questions in his heart, Sal signed the contract sealing his faith.

A/N My End Sems got over today. So in order to celebrate this amazing feat here is the new chapter! Well nothing to say about this one, honestly I just wanted to describe the interior of the Pizzeria, though sadly I wasn't able to do it justice. There is just so much more: the gothic statues along with the digital lamp stands on each table, the arches and paintings from sixteenth century and so on. Though I am sure I will somehow find a way to add these details in future chapters with symbolism here and there. Anyways Happy reading!