Chapter 11

"If your ranked above the red line, you'll move on to the second stage of training. If you're below it, we'll waste no more time on you. Here are your rankings." Max told them before they looked over at the wall the slowly started to show everyone's rank. 

Belle smiled as she found her name in 15th place and Tris in 20th. Both above the red line. She turned to Tris who was smiling up at the screen and pulled her into a side hug while clapping her hand on her shoulder. 

%

The next day they're were out helping the Amity transfer bags of food from truck to truck. 

"So we pass the first stage of training, and this is our reward. Glamorous." Belle heard Cristina say as she got up on a truck to grab a bag. 

As she got up Tris stepped up beside her and she felt something continuously flash her eye. She looked over at Tris who squinted a bit before looking up too. She looked to see where it was coming from and it was coming from a giant pile of bags. They looked at each other before  walking towards the light, that had now stopped. They walked behind the bags only to find nothing was there. They walked farther around some more bags as they looked around making sure no one saw them. As they walked around one of the piles Belle felt a hand on her shoulder and she gasped as she turned, only to find her mother standing there. 

"Mom?" Tris and Belle both asked as she pulled them farther back behind more piles.  Natalie pulled both the girls into hugs before she kissed the side of both their faces.

"Oh, my girls." Natalie sighed 

"Mom, what are you doing here?" Tris asked as they pulled back.

"I knew they'd assign you here sooner or later.  Look at you, guys! God, you guys are so strong and beautiful." Natalie told them as she reached her hand up to touch both their faces.

"Mom, you can't be here." Belle told her holding onto her hand.  

"I know, but you're in danger."

"What?" Tris asked.

"I had to ask you something. You weren't sick the day you took your aptitude test, were you?"

"Why?"

"What were you test results?" Natalie asked them but they both stayed silent, "It's okay. You can tell me." Natalie told them as Belle looked at the ground as she shook her head.

"They were... they were inconclusive." Belle told her.

"Divergent? You can't tell anyone. You can't tell your friends, your instructors. You can't trust anyone." Natalie told them as they heard a loud bell go off.

"We're not."

"People have always been so threaten by Divergents. But now Erudite is looking for them everywhere. They're actively seeking them out."

"Why? Mom, what are we?" Tris asked.

"Well... it's only you. Belle's not.... You're dauntless, through and through, but Tris... you don't conform. Your mind works in a million different ways. They're scared of you. Stage two of training is where you are most at risk. They're gonna get inside your head and watch how you respond to fear. But you can pass. You can make it through Dauntless. I have seen it before. You two are the rarest set of twins here. No one has ever seen a set of twins have two different factions." Natalie told them.

"How do you know so much about this? About dauntless?" Tris asked.

"Never mind about me. Do not let them know who you are." Natalie said.

"Wait! Wait! Were you dauntless?" Tris tried to ask again.

"Listen." Natalie went to say.

"Hey! What are you guys doing?" Some dauntless guy walked over to them. They turned back to where they're mother just stood to not find her there anymore. 

"Truck's loaded. Let's go." The guy told them before they followed after him.

%

Belle sat in her chair next to Tris while her leg bounced up and down nervously. The white door opened and two dauntless people walked out carrying Mollee who could barely hold herself up, she whimpered a bit to herself.

"What'd they do to her?" Cristina asked as Four walked out of the room.

"Tris." He looked over at her.

Tris looked at Belle before Theodore walked out of the second room.

"Belle." He said and she looked at Tris.

They both got up and walked into the separate rooms. Belle walked into the room only to find out it looked just like the room where they took their aptitude test. She stopped as she stared at the chair where she had watched Tris struggle.

"Take a seat." Theo told her as he closed the door behind her. Belle walked over to the seat, but refused to sit fully back as Theo walked over to the table and started to get stuff ready as he explained what was going to happen.

"I'm going to inject you with a serum that stimulates the part of your brain that processes fear." He told her as she put her legs on on the chair.

"Awesome." She muttered.

"It induces a hallucination, and the transmitters in the serum allows me to see the images in your mind." He said making Belle look up at him.

"You can see inside my mind?" She asked as he turned to her, taking in her slightly panicked face.

"Mmm-hmm. Lay back." He told her as he walked forward putting his hands on her shoulders and gentle pushed her back, till her back met the chair.

She looked at the wall across the room as he reached out moving a piece of her hair off her neck, right where her pulse beat wildly. She looked up at him as he raised the injection gun and pushed it into her neck. She groaned at the sting before he pulled the gun out.

"Now, you're gonna be facing your worst fears, Belle. Most people have 10 to 15 really bad ones." She heard Theo say as she closed her eyes. She opened her eyes and found him still standing there as he spoke to her.

"You have to calm yourself. Slow your heart rate and your breathing, and deal with what's in front of you. Be brave." He told her before his voice became an echo as she closed her eyes.