(11) Alexandria

Staring at my phone, which was ringing for the seventh time, I became overwhelmed with the urge to turn it off. It wasn’t exactly the ringing that was overwhelming me, but rather the person calling me.

Three days had passed, and I guess Theodore was trying to keep his promise. It was very annoying that the promises he kept were the ones that fulfilled him. If I had been the one who asked him to call me after three days, then he wouldn’t have done it.

I breathed a sigh of relief when the phone stopped ringing. I turned to my sisters. Rosa was busy texting, and Lily was holding in tears as we watched The Notebook. We’ve watched this movie many times, but Lily always cries when we do. Sometimes, I join her, but other times, I just stare at her. Today was the latter.

I looked around the living room, loving how calm everything was. The living room had a marble and glass double-sided fireplace under a mounted TV and white armchairs with a white sectional on a grey rug. The sunset was visible in the window behind us, and it made everything look beautiful and amazing. It was calming, but because of everything I had going on, I couldn’t enjoy it.

With a sigh, I grabbed a box of Kleenex and handed it to Lily.

“Thank you,” she mumbled while sniffling.

“For goodness’ sake,” Rosa began, staring at Lily. “We’ve watched this movie a hundred times now, and you’ve cried every single time.”

Lily gasped. “It makes me emotional.”

Sensing what was about to come, I decided to chime in, “Leave her alone, Rosa.”

My phone rang again, but I ignored it. I was still not sure if I wanted to talk to him. It was only when it rang for the ninth time—I wasn’t sure anymore—that the realisation that he wasn’t going to stop hit me, so I grabbed my phone and stood up.

“I’m going to the bathroom.” I rushed to my room. If I used the downstairs bathroom, then Rosa would have eavesdropped when she heard me talk on the phone.

It stopped ringing when I stepped into my room. I still closed the door and walked into my bathroom.

I stepped into the bathtub sitting in it. I glanced heavenward before opening my phone and dialled Theo’s number.

“About damn time,” he said the minute he answered the phone. “Why weren’t you answering your phone?”

I gnawed on my bottom lip. “I wasn’t ready to talk to you.”

“Not today, Alex.” He sighed. “I don’t have the patience to deal with your drama today.”

“Then why did you call?”

I was wishing that he wouldn’t have called. I was doing just fine without him pointing out how dramatic I was being. Whatever he wanted to talk about, I didn’t want to. And it would be better if we just ignored each other.

“I’m having a party,” he began, his voice commanding. “And I need you, as my girlfriend, to be there.”

I was quiet, debating whether to hang up or cuss him out. But knowing Theo, the latter wouldn’t go down very well. This is insane. I was now trying to understand why I thought calling him back was a good idea.

“Alexandria,” he called out, sounding annoyed. “I hope you didn’t call me so that I could have a conversation with myself.”

“I’m not coming to your party.” I held my tongue, choosing not to remind him that I wasn’t his girlfriend anymore.

“You’re coming,” he said, “You owe me for what happened last time.”

“It’s not like I planned it.”