(07) Alexandria

Love is a friend. Love is a healer. Love is a protector. At least, that was what Lily said. As our self-proclaimed romance reader, Lily felt as if she were an expert in what love was. Something Rosa argued with her about.

“It’s true. You should fall in love with someone who brings out the best in you, but also remember that love is a mirror, and whoever you’re with will mirror all the good and bad about yourself,” Lily explained.

“I get that, Lily.” Jackie grinned, hooking her arm around my sister’s. “My question, though, is why you don’t think Alex should have a relationship with Oliver.”

I sighed. This wasn’t what I needed or wanted today.

Jackie had returned yesterday from her trip, and when she came over today, Rosa filled her in on her plan. Jackie agreed that it was a great idea, despite Lily and I trying to convince her that it wasn’t.

And when Zack’s invitation came through, the girls got excited and managed to convince me to come with them. They both thought that it would be a good time for me to talk to Oliver.

Their reactions were the reason why I hadn’t told them about the conversation I had with Oli two days ago.

“Oh, right.” Lily turned to glance at me. Rosa and I were walking behind the two of them. “The last time Alexa and Oli had some sort of relationship, it didn’t end well. Besides...” she trailed off.

“Besides,” Jackie echoed, egging her on.

“Alexa might already have feelings for someone else,” she said so quietly.

I almost stopped walking. Lily glanced at me again as if to check if I was okay with what she had just said.

“That’s insane. She doesn’t have feelings for someone else,” Rosa chimed in, tapping my arm, hoping I would say something. “If she did, I’d know.”

“I was just saying—” Lily began, but Rosa interrupted her.

“Besides, Alexa has grown, and I’m pretty sure that Oli has as well. So don’t dwell on the past, Liliana.” She rolled her eyes and continued, “And to be honest, I don’t think that you’re the right person to give dating advice since you’ve never had a boyfriend... fictional ones don’t count.”

I saw Lily’s face drop, and my heart dropped as well. I elbowed Rosa and mouthed, “Be nice.”

She rolled her eyes and looked away. The relationship between my sisters was strained, and I hated it. Oftentimes, I felt as if I was the only thing keeping Rosa from ripping Lily apart. Because at the end of the day, Rosa would be the one who would win that argument, Lily was too soft-spoken for any argument she would burst into tears.

Rosa screamed, making the three of us stop and stare at her. She wasn’t looking at us as she broke into a run towards her boyfriend.

“I guess Bentley is back,” I said with a shrug, watching my sister jump into his arms, wrapping her legs around his torso.

We watched as the two embraced before pulling apart. Bentley turned to all of us before grinning and waving. We all waved back at him. Rosa looked at us, her gaze more focused on Lily. She then turned to Bentley and said something before they walked away.

“Ugh, I want something like that,” Jackie said with longing in her voice, “I want a boyfriend I could love like that.”

“You mean you’re done with situation-ships?” I teased, and she rolled her eyes.

Jackie was known as Queen B at school. The fact that she never wanted a long-term relationship and was the captain of the dance team was what cemented her status to everyone. Her looks also added to it. Jackie had a unique beauty. She had caramel-toned skin, expressive dark eyes, and curly hair that she loved to style in different ways to reflect her vibrant personality. She was the same height as me and had a toned physique from her dedication to ballet.