Chapter 36: Bonds Beyond Blood

July 2023

It was a sunny afternoon, and the mountain props were already majestically placed between the lake. The picnic setup between the twin pine trees spread under fairy lights dangling from the branches—while the moms, very busy preparing for the picnic section, bantered about whether they should pick red or pink for the decorations. Amid their confusion, they enthusiastically called out the athletic boy who's been helping the dads putting the fairy lights on the nearby trees.

"Tyty! Come here!"

Rolling his eyes for probably—the hundredth time, the boy smirked and chuckled while descending from the ladder, and jogged over to them. Before he even reached them, the moms had spread out the fabric colors: the red one held by his mom and the pink one—held by his other mom. The boy grinned and assured, "Come on, either one will look great—"

"It can't be just any color! This is your first date!" one of the moms chided—and the rest trailing off as they continued their debate.

Nearby, the fathers were diligently hanging fairy lights on the trees. Suddenly, the bigger one coughed, his face momentarily creased with discomfort. However it seemed like it was only a slight cough, he quickly descended the ladder and jogged away. With concern, the leaner one hurriedly climbed down and ran after him—catching up as he started coughing more intensely.

The middle aged man with the Johnny-Depp-at-his-prime hairstyle quickly put a hand on his bro-for-life's back, his voice filled with worry, "You alright, John?"

But his bro couldn't respond—his coughing fit continuing, body shaking violently. Unable to find any water nearby, he just kept rubbing his friend's back in support, hoping it would help.

Finally, the coughing subsided. His friend stood upright again, tilting his head back and closing his eyes, exhaling slowly. Mr. Cavill watched him in concern, silently waiting. When John finally looked at him, there was a deep weariness in his eyes as he whispered, "Greg,"

"I think I'm dying."

Tyler's heart races as he speeds down the highway on his Panigale

Tyler's heart races as he speeds down the highway on his Panigale. The sound of your voice echoes in his mind, each word tightening the knot of panic in his chest. He replays your confused tone, the disbelief in your voice.

"I.. don't know–they—they're saying his lungs are already drowned in water."

He can't shake the image of Mr. Winters from his mind. Whenever he laughed—his entire body shaking with mirth.. the way his big stomach wiggled.. the way he slapped the back of his head whenever they bantered.. how he scolded him every time he made you cry..

The man who has always been there, spreading humor and wisdom–even though he always does it with a little touch of bullying. Your dad. His dad's bestfriend.