Chapter 1

I let out a deep sigh as I felt myself shift out of the shape I was using, sweat beginning to form on my forehead. Training by myself always seemed more difficult.

But I knew with Captain America gone, I was going to need to be ready if he ever called.

When he was ousted and made public enemy number one according to SHIELD, I quickly made my exit as we. No way was I going to stay in a place with so much hostility towards someone I considered my best friend. I trusted his decisions and wouldn't abandon him like all of these other people who claimed to be his ally had.

Thinking about Steve made me reflect back. It had been a few years since I had been brought into the facility. I'm a shapeshifter. Well, to an extent. Currently only animals. I can't pretend to be someone else or anything like that. It was helpful to the team to test against different types of scenarios; like a rhino for strength, cheetah for speed, things like that. But that's all I ever was, just practice.

I hadn't proven myself just yet because I was still so young and new at this. Or so I was told. I had already improved so much since I first joined thanks to the team. My shifting was faster and smoother and I was able to really tap into the power of the animal I shifted into. But I was always the odd man out, left behind for comms, surveillance, the like. But I keep telling myself, one day, I'd get to go on regular missions with them. Really feel like I was good enough to be here.

At least for the time being, I was lucky enough to have Steve looking out for me. When I first showed up, he had kind of taken me under his wing. Maybe I reminded him of someone, he took pity on me, or thought it cool that we were actually pretty similar in our likes and stuff.

My phone vibrates and startles me out of my memories. I check the message that shows it's from an unknown number, and only has an address on it. I know it's from Steve and he wants me to meet him. He finally has a lead that should hopefully put a stop to this whole mess. I quickly memorize the location, delete the message, then immediately grab what I need and go.
______________________
Well, I guess I was starting to get bored and as usual, the team made things interesting.

Watching Natasha push a person off the roof, then Sam using those super sweet metal wings to save him, and finally getting the answers from said person that we needed after a good scare, is one way to go about the day.

Too bad it just brought more bad news to what we were already worried about. Now we're in the car speeding down the highway trying to figure out our next plan of action.

We don't get long to discuss our plans before things start getting chaotic.

The glass from the car windows shatters suddenly and something or someone pulls our prisoner (aka the guy that was thrown off the roof) out from the window of the car and into the next lane of traffic. He's gone. Just like that. That's brutal.

Then gunshots start coming through the roof, narrowly missing Natasha and myself. Steve thinks quickly and slams the car into park, bringing the car to a hard stop. The source of the gunfire above us slides off the roof into the street. It appears to be some sort of soldier. He is decked in all black gear, goggles and a mask. He certainly looked the part of an assassin, I'd give him that.

As he is flying forward in the air from the sudden loss of momentum, he somehow maneuvers himself to land into a crouch on the ground, slowing himself down by digging what appears to be a metal arm into the ground. When he finally comes to a stop, he stands up and looks as though he is totally unphased. Before we can register what is happening in front of us, another car collides into the back of the car and pushes us forward, towards the soldier. Natasha and I are thrown forward and she loses the gun she had just gotten into her hand to the floor. The tires squeal loudly as despite being in park, the car is pushed forward. The soldier jumps on top of our car again as soon as it gets close to him and he begins to tear the car apart, ripping away the metal as if it was paper.