Chapter 6: Frighten and Alone

Tanjiro dreamt that he was back inside his mother's womb as an unborn baby. Though dark and cramped, he felt warm, safe and loved. He could hear his mother's heartbeat, a constant soothing rhythm.
When his mother spoke or sang, her voice surrounding and cradling him. When she walked or worked, her movements gently rocked him. Tanjiro felt a deep connection to his mother through these sensations, though he could not yet see her face.
When his mother ate or drank, he could taste the flavors entering her body and nourish his growing form. When she laughed or cried, he could feel her every emotion. Though separated by the wall of her womb, Tanjiro and his mother were inseparable.

As Tanjiro dreamed, he felt his mother's unconditional love for him - a love that predated his birth and would always remain. Her care and nurturing in the womb had given him life and allowed him to grow strong. He was filled with gratitude for this sacred bond they shared.
Tanjiro awoke with tears in his eyes, remembering the security and comfort of his time in the womb. Though now separate from his mother, the connection they shared - the love that began before his birth - remained unchanged. He whispered, "Thank you, Mother," into the darkness, filled with appreciation for the gift of life she had given him.

Tanjiro's eyes fluttered open, greeted by the dappled sunlight filtering through the dense foliage of the forest. To his surprise, he found himself surrounded by the comforting presence of his beloved sister, Nezuko, alongside Angelina and a new acquaintance, Madeline Fogg. Confusion clouded his mind as he tried to piece together his surroundings.
"Where am I?" Tanjiro's voice quivered with uncertainty as he struggled to comprehend his predicament. Before he could recount his encounter with the little witch, his words were swiftly interrupted by Nezuko, Angelina, and Madeline. They explained in unison that they possessed the ability to understand the language of tanuki, a mythical creature known for its transformative powers. Tanjiro's confusion deepened, but he chose to trust in the words of his companions.
Seeking solace and answers, Tanjiro made his way to a nearby river, its crystal-clear waters reflecting the world around him. As he gazed upon his own reflection, his heart plummeted into a chasm of despair. The visage staring back at him was not his own. It was a grotesque transformation, a sight that horrified him to his core.

Overwhelmed by fear and confusion, Tanjiro's emotions erupted, a torrent of panic threatening to consume him. His screams echoed through the forest, a desperate plea for understanding. But before the panic could fully take hold, Nezuko swiftly and lovingly struck him on the head with her boot, snapping him back to reality.
"Tanjiro, snap out of it!" Nezuko's voice carried a mix of concern and determination. "The transformation you've undergone, it was the work of Angela Leon, the little witch you encountered in the virtual world."
Tanjiro's mind raced with a whirlwind of emotions. Anger surged through his veins, directed at Angela for her meddling with forces beyond her comprehension. Yet, amidst the fury, a flicker of curiosity ignited within him. How had she managed to wield such power? And what did this transformation mean for his future?

As the chaos within his mind began to settle, Madeline approached him, her eyes brimming with empathy and a childlike innocence. "Do not fret, Monsieur Tanjiro," she spoke softly, her French accent coloring her words. "Together, we shall find a way to reverse this unfortunate transformation. We shall face this challenge head-on."
Her words resonated deep within Tanjiro's heart, rekindling the flame of determination within him. Taking a deep breath, he clasped Nezuko's hand and offered a grateful smile to Angelina and Madeline. They were his pillars of support, his allies in this unexpected journey.

With unwavering resolve, Tanjiro vowed to confront Angela Leon, to seek answers and resolution to this bewildering predicament. In the embrace of friendship and the strength of their united spirits, he knew that no obstacle could stand in their way.
And so, as the sun's gentle rays continued to dance through the verdant forest, Tanjiro, Nezuko, Angelina, and Madeline set forth on a new adventure. Their path may be fraught with uncertainty, but their bond would guide them through the darkest of moments. Together, they would unravel the mysteries of the transformation, reclaiming Tanjiro's true form, and discover the true extent of their own strength in the process. For in the face of adversity, friendship and resilience would always prevail.

Deep in the heart of the enchanted forest, where the sunlight filtered through the dense canopy of trees, a sorrowful scene unfolded. Obanai, now transformed into a snake, slithered towards Tanjiro, his venomous bite inflicting a sharp pain upon the tanuki's bushy tail. A pained yelp escaped Tanjiro's lips, his furry body recoiling from the assault.
"Ouch!" Tanjiro exclaimed, his voice tinged with anguish. As he tended to his injured tail, Obanai took the opportunity to share the story of his own transformation with Nezuko, Angelina, and Madeline. Blame was cast upon Tanjiro's shoulders, his alleged lack of kindness being the catalyst for Obanai's current plight. Coiling around Tanjiro's body, Obanai's voice dripped with cruelty and accusation.
"Because by then, you'll be a very grown tanuki," Obanai hissed, his eyes gleaming with malice. "You will become so lonely, for no one will recognize or understand you. And in time, you will wither away and die."

Tanjiro's heart shattered upon hearing these words, tears welling up in his eyes. The weight of his new existence settled heavily upon him, the realization that he would forever be a tanuki, unseen and misunderstood by his siblings and the people around him. It was a fate he couldn't bear.
"I don't want to be a tanuki," Tanjiro sobbed, his voice trembling with raw emotion. "I want to be human again. I want to be seen, understood, and connected with others." Leaning against the sturdy trunk of an ancient oak tree, he wept, his tears flowing freely down his furry cheeks.
In their unwavering loyalty, Nezuko, Angelina, and Madeline surrounded Tanjiro, their presence radiating warmth and love. They moved closer, their gentle touch and comforting words offering solace amidst the despair.
"We hear your pain, Tanjiro," Nezuko whispered softly, her voice filled with empathy. "We understand your longing for connection and recognition. You are not alone in this journey."
Angelina, her eyes shimmering with compassion, placed a hand on Tanjiro's trembling paw. "You are more than your physical form, dear friend. Your essence, your kindness, and your bravery transcend any shape you may take. We will stand by you and find a way to restore your human self."
Madeline, her voice filled with determination, spoke up. "We will seek answers together, Tanjiro. We'll explore every corner of this enchanted forest and beyond, until we discover a way to bring back your true form. And we will also find a way to comfort Angela for the pain she has caused."

As the sunlight filtered through the towering trees, casting a warm and gentle glow upon the group, Tanjiro's resolve strengthened. He wiped away his tears, his furry face marked with determination.
"I vow to find a way to return to my human self," Tanjiro declared, his voice filled with a newfound determination. "To overcome this curse and reclaim my identity. And I will not rest until I have brought comfort to Angela, understanding her motives and offering forgiveness."
Nezuko, Angelina, and Madeline nodded in unison, their eyes shining with unwavering support. Together, they set forth into the depths of the enchanted forest, their footsteps marking the beginning of a journey filled with challenges and revelations. They were bound by an unbreakable bond of friendship and love, ready to face any obstacle that lay in their path.
And so, as their figures disappeared into the embrace of the enchanted forest, they carried with them the hope of restoration, the strength of unity, and the belief that true connections could be forged even in the face of the most profound transformations.

The dimly lit room was filled with an air of tension as Obanai hissed, his eyes gleaming with a mix of caution and determination. Tanjiro, Nezuko, Angelina, and Madeline, leaned forward, their curiosity piqued by Obanai's words.

"Roughly yesterday in Paris," Obanai began, his voice laced with a sense of urgency, "a wicked witch cast a curse on the city, allowing her fellow witches to do the dirty work for her by turning everyone into animals for their wrongful deeds."
Gasps escaped the lips of Tanjiro and his companions. The gravity of the situation weighed heavily upon them, as they imagined the chaos and confusion that must have ensued.
"But the wicked witch was defeated by the top ballet dancer called Giyu Tomioka," Obanai continued, his voice holding a hint of admiration, "and the curse was sealed into the heart of the beautiful princess."
Tanjiro's eyes widened in astonishment. "The curse was sealed in the princess's heart?"
Obanai nodded solemnly. "That's the supposed history of this city. This Fondation Monet is where the curse is said to be sealed in the princess's heart, as well as being the current residence of that witch. Or so says the pamphlet."

The group exchanged glances, their minds racing with questions and possibilities. Nezuko's voice broke the silence, a mix of excitement and wonder. "So, Obanai, you're telling us that this curse has turned you, my brother, and everyone else into animals while my siblings and I were gone to London? That's quite the predicament for the people of Paris."
A spark of curiosity ignited in Angelina's eyes as she pondered the implications. "Wait, does that mean we'll get to see animals walking around the city? That sounds adorable!"
Madeline furrowed her brow. "But if the curse was sealed in the heart of the princess, it must mean that she's still affected by it. How can we break the curse and restore everyone to their human form?"
Obanai's gaze hardened, his determination shining through. "We can't let this wicked witch continue her reign of darkness. We must find a way to defeat her and free the princess from the curse."
Tanjiro nodded, his expression resolute. "Indeed, the Fondation Monet seems to hold the key to all of this. It's where the curse is sealed, and where we'll find that witch. But be warned, she won't be easy to defeat."
Nezuko's optimism remained unshaken as she smiled. "We've faced many challenges before, and this won't be any different. Together, we'll gather our strength and skills to confront the witch and break the curse."
Angelina's curiosity burned brightly as she turned to Obanai. "What kind of animals do you think people have turned into, Obanai? Are there any specific traits or powers we should be aware of?"
Madeline scribbled notes in her trusty notebook, capturing every detail. "Let's gather information, make a plan, and set out on this adventure to save the princess and restore Paris to its former glory!"
Obanai's eyes narrowed, his focus unwavering. "We must be cautious, for the streets of Paris are no longer what they used to be. The wicked witch's influence has tainted everything, and danger lurks around every corner."
Tanjiro's voice carried gratitude as he addressed Obanai. "Thank you for sharing this vital information. With your guidance, we'll face this curse head-on and bring back peace to the people of Paris."
Nezuko's excitement radiated as she exclaimed, "Let's embark on this grand quest and bring smiles back to everyone's faces. Our journey begins now!"
And so, the group split up, each member taking on a role that suited their strengths. Tanjiro, driven by determination, set out on his own to confront the wicked witch and unravel the secrets of the curse that had befallen the city of Paris. Little did he know, his journey would be filled with peril, unexpected allies, and a revelation that would test his resolve like never before.