Chapter Eight

This time it was Alistair, and he wasn't watching me, but the surrounding woods. I can barely make out anything in the charcoal remains of the fire. I guess having enhanced sight comes in handy.

I lie frozen until he lets out a sigh of relief and helps me sit up. "It's just Felix returning. Sorry to startle you awake."

"I-I mean-she knew you. Is that why you followed me from the pub?"

"Dreaming of us, are you?" Jasper laughs from somewhere in the dark to my left.

"You three found me - her - in the woods."

"Which time?"

"Apparently she was pissed about some misunderstanding involving another woman. She took off into the woods."

"Ah yes. He nearly tore apart the whole castle searching for you-I mean-her," Alistair shares.

"And he almost took my head off," Jasper comes into my sight then with a shudder.

"Unnecessary drama," remarks Vyktor.

"The mating bond does that to Lycans. You should have seen the shit he got when he returned home." All three, even Vyktor, chuckle at that. "I mean one minute, they're tearing out of there pissed and the next they return holding hands while smiling. Those two had a special bond. He's the most frightening creature alive and yet she could calm him with a look." They all take a moment to honor her memory.

"It's almost dawn, we should head out," remarks Felix.

"Can you not walk any faster?" Complains Felix. "The wolves and witches will be on us before we even get halfway there."

"Oh, stop being so fucking dramatic," interrupts Vyktor and I'm taken back by he's defending of us until he opens his mouth again, "we'd leave you behind as bait first."

"Why is she so important?" Argues Felix. "Is it just because she looks like his dead mate? It's going to fuck with his mind."

"Because I said so," snaps Jasper and clearly he must be high in their pecking order because that shut Felix up even if he looked unhappy about it.

"Why are you bringing me back?" When Jasper shoots me an annoyed glare, I hold my hands up defensively. "You can't pull rank on me because I don't turn furry."

Alistair snorts out a laugh while Jasper smirks, but it's Vyktor who responds, "No, but we can tie you up again."

I turn towards him and ask, "You're a grumpy one, aren't you?"

Now both men minus Felix are laughing, "She's got you figured out," adds Jasper.

"Cassia," Dahlia hisses at me, "Maybe try not to aggravate our captors."

"I was simply asking a question," I bite my lip to stop from laughing. "But I'm curious were you guys close with Cassia?"

There was a pause until Alistair answers, "Jasper, Vyk, and I were the Lycan King and his mates' guards. Felix just got promoted to warrior status about a decade ago."

"I'm sorry for your loss." And I am because I could tell by the expressions on their three faces that they grieve for not only their queen, but also a friend. "It must be weird to see my face."

"You could say that."

"I know we just met, but am I like her at all?"