06. tag-alongs.

INTO YOU

chapter six
— connor's pov 🛝

✩₊˚.⋆ 🌌 ⋆⁺₊✧

"MAN, WHAT is Jasmine doing at our practice?" I ask Brady, and he shrugs.

"Dunno. She just said she wanted to tag along with Reese today and I guess she let her." I shrug, speeding up my jog so I finish the lap a few seconds before Brady.

As the girls walk up, Brady smiles at Jasmine, who does some odd flirty motion to him in return, but I don't keep my eyes on her for long because I really don't care why they're flirting or what said flirting consists of.

Instead, my eyes land on Reese. She's wearing a different outfit than she was at school. She's now wearing a half-zip sweatshirt that's the same blue as our school's color, and black leggings. Her hair is in double dutch braids with a few strands hanging down to frame her face. As I complete my lap, Tristan nudges me.

"You're staring at Reese." He whispers, and i scowl.

"No I'm not. I was just observing her and her friends." I reply, and he scoffs.

"Likely story. Just don't get caught by coach, he'll make you run." Tristan snorts, and I roll my eyes at him.

The three girls make their way over to us since we're done with our typical two laps, and Jasmine primarily speaks with Brady, but the other two talk to Tristan and I since everyone else isn't done yet.

"Hi," Reese says softly, and I nod my head at her in acknowledgment.

"Hey."

Tristan sends me a grossed out look. "You two are disgusting. Just make out at this point."

Ellie laughs, obviously agreeing with the statement. Reese and I both send them an unimpressed look, and they eventually stop laughing.

"We're not into each other. How many times do we have to say this for you to understand it? Geez..." Reese mumbles, and I nod in agreement.

"Exactly. Guys and girls can be just friends, y'know?" I point out, and Reese silently agrees by nodding her head like 10 times as I speak.

"Fine fine, I'll let it go." Jasmine sighs. "Anyways, what are you guys doing at practice today?"

"Last I checked a certain Min girl made a bet with me that our team's conditioning isn't hard so she'd be doing it with us..." I send Reese a knowing glance, and her confidence waivers for a second before it's back.

"Hm... fine, I'll do it with you." She narrows her eyes at me. "If I complete it without complaining, you have to buy me ice cream after practice."

I shrug. "Deal. If you do complain, you have to scrimmage me in soccer this weekend. 1v1."

She raises a judgmental eyebrow at me. "Really? That's what you want?" When I nod, she speaks again. "Fine, game on. Let me put my hair up."

"Take your time, princess. Your dad's running late again." I tease, jogging over to the rest of my team, who's starting a lighthearted scrimmage until we're told to do something.