The drop off

Owen was working on building his cabin when his phone rings. It's his sister.  He sighs and picks it up. 

"Hello?" He asks. 

"Yeah Hi Owen listen." She says he groans. 

"What now?" He asks annoyed getting off his ladder. 

"You act like I call you all the time. Anyway it's about Charlie." She says. 

"What about Charlie?" He asks concerned at her tone of voice.

"She's fine she just got in a fight at school and it's her 4th fight this year. She's being suspended." She tells him in a sad voice.

"Suspended! For how long? And I'm sure the son of a bitch deserved it." He says leaning against the door frame of his van slightly proud of his niece.

"She's been suspended for a month, Owen. And I don't know if the kid deserved it because she won't tell me about it but the other kid has a broken nose and a bloody lip." She says unhappy.

"Is Charlie okay? Did she get hurt?" He asks concerned. 

"She's fine but I need a favor." She says.

"Amy." He warns.

"Oh shut up Owen! You haven't seen her in years and you don't even call her. Plus she misses seeing you." She tells him.

"And you want to send her to me? Why would that be a good idea? I miss her too but for one I don't even have a proper house right now." He informs his sister as he washes his hands in the sink.

"You don't have a house?" She asks.

"I live in a van on the side of the road, sis. I would call it a home but I know you won't." He sighs walking back outside. 

"Owen please just one time she loves being outside anyway and maybe she could help you with some stuff." She begs him.

"Fine but it's not my fault if she gets hurt, got it?" He warns.

"Yeah, yeah I got it. Thank you Owen, she'll probably get there sometime later today I'll call you just go to the airport to pick her up please." She says.

"Yeah I know I will. Bye Amy." He says.

"Bye Owen I'll call you later!" She says then hangs up. 

Owen sighs and puts his phone down on the table and looks out onto the view of the mountains and green trees that seem to go on forever. He goes to his truck and drives to the airport since it's around a 2 hour drive. As he gets to the airport he is greeted with someone calling his name. 

"Owen." The voice says. Owen turns around to see Charlie looking at him. He smiles and runs over to her and hugging her lifting her off the ground slightly. 

"Hey Charlie." He says happily as he sets her back down on the ground and kisses the top of her head.  "Are you ready to go?" He asks. 

"Yeah." She replies nodding and smiles. He puts his arm around her and leads her to his truck. He opens the passenger door for her then he takes her backpack and puts it in the truck bed and goes to the front getting in the drivers seat.

"You ready?" He asks smiling at her. She nods. He smiles and they drive out of the airport. About an hour later Owen decides that he should bring up the fighting thing even though he doesn't want to. He sighs. "So Charlie, your mom told me you got into another fight at school." He says starting the conversation.

"Yeah I did." She says sadly. "But he deserved it." She adds.

"Wait, he! A guy messed with you?" He asks concerned and slightly angry. "I bet he did deserve it too. What did he do?" He asks trying to hide his anger. 

"He was just being an ass, you know, pushing people into lockers and slamming their books on the floor and stuff like that. He tried to slam my books on the floor but I hit him in the nose with my textbook then I punched him in the face cause earlier he was picking on a kid that's an orphan." She says and looks up at him. 

"I don't care what your mom or the school says I think that you did the right thing and I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself and that other kid." He says smiling. "Just maybe don't hit him with a textbook next time." He adds chuckling. 

"Yeah that would've been smart." She says and Owen laughs. 

Another hour goes by and they get to Owen's 'house' and they both get out of the trunk and he gets her backpack from the truck bed and hands it to her.

"Well here it is, my humble abode!" He says holding his arms out like he's presenting something.

"It's nice." She says chuckling at his actions.

"Thank you, at least someone appreciates my work." He laughs and leads her to his van. "You can just set your bag there."  He says pointing at the couch. She sets her bag on the couch. "You wanna see something cool?" He asks. She nods. "Come on." He says running out of the van and hiding as Charlie runs out of the van looking around for him.

"Owen? Where did you go?" She asks looking around. He comes up behind her and tickles her.

"Gotcha!" He says tickling her.

"You scared the crap out of me!" She says laughing.

"That's what uncles are for." He says and stops tickling her. "I like your outfit by the way." He says pointing to the Harley Davidson shirt she had on. 

"Thank you." She says chuckling. 

 "Here come on." He says putting his arm around her and leading her towards the view of the mountains and the green trees that go on for miles. 

"It's a pretty view." She says. He nods.

"It is, that's why I picked this spot. Also it's away from unwanted people." He jokes and she laughs. "You wanna help me with building the roof?" He asks looking at her smiling. 

"Sure." She replies and Owen gets up on the ladder and points to a box of nails. 

"Can you hand me that box?" He asks. She nods and hands him the box and he climbs to the top of the ladder and starts putting nails into the wood and hammering them in. A few minutes later he hears a car pull up and he sighs looking down at Charlie. "Speaking of unwanted people." He says making Charlie laugh. Claire walks out of the car. 

"Owen." She says but he pretends he didn't hear her and Charlie just watches with amusement. "Owen!" She says again this time louder. 

"Oh boy." Owen mutters putting the hammer away. He turns to Claire. "You come back for more?" He asks. 

"Can I buy you a beer?" She asks.

"You bring em' or do we gotta like go somewhere?" He asks and smirks down at Charlie who is laughing.