Chapter 6, Gender

"𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝'𝐬 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥

𝐈𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐲 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐞"

You weren't going to give in. You simply couldn't. Yet there you sat, on top of your bed after midnight, an opened yet blank laptop sitting in front of you, intimidating you with its presence alone. The urges to type Bella's name into the tempting search bar began growing stronger and stronger, making it harder than ever to resist.

"Fuck's sake." You muttered under your breath, knowing you were alone in your apartment.  Before you knew it, you had already pressed search, millions of results popping up on your screen. Starting with the basics, you went through their IMDb, your eyes scanning the list full of projects they had been in.

The Last of Us caught your attention, but that was only because you had heard your friends talk about it countless of times before. You were simply doing a background check on one of your lead actors, that was no big deal right? It was just to be safe.

It wasn't like they had been the person taking up all of your thoughts for the past week, and even if they were, it wasn't for any of the good reasons anyone would want to be though about. Instead, you found yourself nearly despising them and their existence.

While you were shooting, you were able to step into a certain flow. One that allowed you to tune out any other thoughts, and let you focus on the scene fully. You were honest with your criticism, and weren't afraid to speak up about the things you disliked.

The messages from your friends asking whether they could visit set hadn't stopped yet, but you hadn't started replying either. It felt like they were using you, even though in your heart you knew that they weren't.

It wasn't like you could blame them either. If any of them had got a similar opportunity, there was no way you were going to let it slip past you. You knew that if you would simply tell them what happened between Bella and you all those years ago, they would understand. They would stop mentioning their name and show their support for you and your short film in other ways.

But that was something you couldn't just tell them. You hadn't told anyone, not even the ones you considered closest to you. The truth was that Bella had been one of the last people you ever fully trusted. Ever since secondary school ended, you had resented the idea of trust, and privately vowed to yourself never to entirely trust another human being again.

Before you had fully realised it, the opening credit to the show began playing, grasping your attention away from your thoughts. Instead of pondering any longer, you allowed yourself to give in, and watch the first episode.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━