Newer Perspectives

Love and desire are two very different yet intertwined feelings. 

One simply can't go without the other if you wish to have a fulfilling love life. 

I can love you with everything in my being and still not want to be with you, and it will only lead to our short lasting heartbreak. We can also want a person and not love them, but it only leads to a monogamous, in most cases, miserable life. 

You ask how this is possible? How can you love a person and not want to be with them? It is simply the mind's ability to protect itself from years worth of nothingness. 

You can love a person but know that you can't be with them, simply because your minds don't speak each other's languages. 

You may need different things. 

You may love different things.

Maybe someone else met them first.

Even if you love that person more than you ever imagined possible, you still choose to break your own heart and not be with them.

 You can also desire someone when you don't even love them. As impossible as it may sound. It's the most painful truth that most relationships are built on it. 

You match well in thought,

financially, 

socially,

 and maybe even in pictures.

 It makes you believe that this is your perfect partner. You lack passion and for the first couple of years you think it's okay. 

Then there are cases where you could be in love with the idea of a person that you had built, later it comes down the drain the fact that you ended up with someone entirely different than the person you created. 

You slowly lose your faith in the decision you made. In the life you created.

So yes, 

desire and love are two very different feelings that lead nowhere if not magically intertwined.