chapter 4: best of both worlds.

october.
bey.

I leaned over the desk, close to the phone, Oni's playful voice coming through the line.

"I'm looking at the cameras right now and I really don't know who that is. I will not be letting her up here and I think it's crazy that she's in my building right now."

"Why do you always want to play?"

"I actually have a client right now Mrs. St. James."

"What's my maiden name?"

She sighed dramatically, "I have a client."

"I'm the client! Stop playing now, you're frustrating me."

"Let the cry baby up Diana."

She let me pass, laughing behind me.

This time, I was much more confident here. These new walls and all this marble felt like a third home to me now, with only Orange above it. I'd been here, formulating a plan and going over all of my spending habits. Oni knew everything about my money, and I had grown comfortable enough to share all of my accounts with her.

Needless to say, I was here a lot, and all of her employees had grown accustomed to me. At this point, we were playing pranks and Oni gave me a hard time about coming in every time. Today was no different.

Oni met me at the elevator doors, arms crossed over her chest, pushing up the large, white gold pendant of an M on top of her breasts. I stared at it, watched how the diamonds shined in the light.

"That's new?"

"Yes."

"I like that. It looks nice."

Today was Friday and her business took Casual Friday seriously. Simeon wore basketball shorts while Diana wore a pink sundress. Oni's brown skirt flowed down to her ankles and her tank barely passed her belly button. I could see the stones glistening in her sandals, the same shine on her body chain. The heavy chain was the only bulk a part of her outfit, and somehow she still looked wonderful. And she smelled like paradise, notes of vanilla and blood orange with the vanilla on top. If I knew anything about Oni, I knew that when she passed me, the blood orange would come out to play too.

"You're late," She checked the Rolex on her wrist.

"That's new too."

"Yes."

"I wasn't asking."

She turned on her heels, her hair flipping by and I could smell that blood orange whipping by me. I trailed behind her into her office.

"This must be a great pay period."

"I'm the only one doing the pocket watching in here."

"I can pocket watch at Orange?"

She turned around and flipped me off before sitting down behind her desk. On her desk sat a glass vase with red roses inside. There was a note inside and a small velvet box beside it. I kept my eyes on the roses, hoping she would acknowledge them, but she didn't.

I took a seat too, "You look pretty. You got a date?"

"So not only are you pocket watching but you're watching my love life too?"

"You're the one receiving useless roses."

"Useless?"

"They don't do anything but sit there, wither away, and die. They're useless to have."

"They're nice gestures," She defended, "They let you know someone was thinking about you or they simply want to make your day a little bit more beautiful. They have a use."