Chapter Twenty Two: A Town lost

Without Excelsior I spread my hand out in front of me, my Pyromancy being almost second nature to me now. As always, the orange hue of the flames began to drain, with each tinny lick that turned black I felt my control over it grow. Felt the flames become little more than pawns to my will.

"Be ready," I spoke focusing intently on the door. 

It seemed strange to see Akio without her shield now, ever since Sordan's death she had always used it in a fight. But the blast had greatly drained Sanziun. Due to her nature she was a lot more drained than Changxi so it was even less likely she'd be able to use the Shield any time soon. Once the fire was completely black I commanded it to attack. The flames took the form of my fist and struck out, incinerating the door, melting the car which had been moved to block us in, and killing anyone who happened to be on the other side of it. Once the door and car were gone the flames snuffed themselves out. I fall, my energy completely drained but before I hit the ground Irina grabbed me and pulls me out side. While Yuguchi and Akio covering us each step of the way.

"Do you need to feed?" Akio asked looking at me panting and barely able to stand.

Once we were in cover, she didn't wait for me to answer before offering her wrist. When I was this weak fresh blood worked better than that of vials. I took my fill, feeling my strength return, sighing heavily, hating how quickly my energy got drained. Jasmine then used her magic to heal the wound and we got ready to carry on.

"I'm good." I the nodded and began to walk. "for the record I hate heretics, I know technically that includes us but at least we stay loyal to our own ideals."

"We all do." Yuguchi spoke sheathing her weapons. "We may be Order of Balance but they are an affront to that balance Kitten." I shot her a look she knew I hated that nick name.

"At least we know two things from that little encounter." I spoke out instinctively looking for a good place to hide our bags and robes.

"The Fallen is in the church and he has turned those in his cult fanatical." Yuguchi spoke and Akio nodded confirming what we both knew. "Three if you count his name."

"Why would they Worship a Fallen Angel?" Jasmine asked still relatively naive to this side of the War.

"Because very few people know the damned difference." Yugu growled as we walked through the abandoned streets. "they just see an Angel of any type and assume its from Heaven."

"We need to recover, for now we find a place to rest, then tomorrow we shall attack the church." Akio ordered.

Irina stayed quite on the subject, she had never truly forgiven Heaven for failing her and the rest of the subjects at the Project. She now had devoted herself entirely to the Balansufirudo, after all it was us, The Order Of Balance squadron that had come to save her. Not an Angel, not even a regular Custodies Veritas team.  She saw Michael as her Grandfather, that came with the Bound but as far as she was concerned the rest of Heaven were nothing to be worshiped.

We moved towards one of the many abandoned houses on this dead town. Now we knew about the cult it made sense that the streets were this empty, but it still felt strange, to see a town this big completely devoid of any life. I nodded and we decided to regroup here. We paused our conversation as we pushed the door open to another house, checking inside and yelling out "Clear!" when we found the room was empty. Once we were sure we were alone we continued.

"I suggest we attack at night, after all we are both stronger at night." Irina spoke, sensing our magic levels. "None of us are in a state to fight right now.